DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

As I mention under Goblin-Kings post. To make the common data actually "move" you need to set the module to "Force Transfer" on the module list.

Just seen your post there, then this one As I said there - I need to try it out
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Kalan
    Common data does not need to be distributed to the individual players (it is instead transmitted when a player connects)? While client or db data must reside locally on the player and GM's system?
    It is transmitted when the GM activates the module, and to connecting users after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalan
    I have used common.xml, however, even after several minutes, the data does not appear on the player side (the "cobweb" phenomenon"). Is this an indication of a transmission error? How does one resolve this?
    Did you check the "I" checkbox for index generation when you exported the module? If you didn't, the data would get transferred but there would be no library entries to access it by. If you created the module by hand, did you create the <library> tag in common.xml?
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin-King
    It is transmitted when the GM activates the module, and to connecting users after that.

Did you check the "I" checkbox for index generation when you exported the module? If you didn't, the data would get transferred but there would be no library entries to access it by. If you created the module by hand, did you create the <library> tag in common.xml?
    I just double checked - and there is the <library> tag in the module. The player receives the module on their end, and all tags under <library> - however none of the data residing within those tags show up.

A snippet of the code is as follows:

Code:
    <library>
            <wowrpgbasicrules static = 'true'>
                <name type='string'>WoW RPG Basic Rules</name>
                <categoryname type='string'>WoW RPG Essentials</categoryname>
                <entries>
                    <allianceraces>
                        <librarylink type='windowreference'>
                            <class>referenceindex</class>
                            <recordname>..</recordname>
                       </librarylink>
                        <name type='string'>Races of the Alliance</name>
                        <index>
                            <dwarf_ironforge>
                                <listlink type='windowreference'>
                                    <class>referencetextwide</class>
                                    <recordname>..</recordname>
                                </listlink>    
                                <name type='string'>Dwarf, Ironforge</name>
                                <text type='formattedtext'>
                                    <p><b>Description:</b>The dwarves of Ironforge are a proud, stern and determined people with streaks of kindness hidden under the gruff exteriors of their sturdy frames. Their love for battle, invention and exploration impels them ever forward to discover and unearth the mysteries of their heritage, educating them further about those who first created the dwarven race.</p>
                               </text>
                             </dwarf_ironforge>
                          </index>
                    </allianceraces>
              </entries>
         </wowrpgbasicrules>
    </library>
    It works fine on my GM machine, and the library information shows up on the player machine (ie: the Player does see the "Races of the Alliance" if they click on the book...however when they click on the Races of the Alliance link - no data shows up. After about 10mins of being connected, there was still the cobweb on the Players "version" of the book.

I hope this makes some sense :S
    Last edited by Kalan; May 30th, 2007 at 09:59.
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Just seeing if anyone else is still observing the "cobweb" loading issue with regards to common.xml files...

IE: Bumpage...
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

I have this problem Kalan, and it seems entirely related to the fact that players cannot access common data unless is has a library index. While this seems to make sense at first, it's giving me some trouble. I don't want players to be able to peruse this shared data, I only want them to view it when I choose to share it with them.

Basically, my campaign is very large, and for organization, I've broken it apart into several smaller modules. This works fine for me, but whenever I try to share an image, like say, a map, that is a part of any module, it freezes up both of my players, even though my modules were exported with the 'common/shared' data boxes all ticked. It seems that unless I also tick the 'create library index' option, the players just get stuck trying to load data that isn't there for them. I've also tried, for lack of ideas, to export the same modules as 'Host' or 'Client' to no avail.

The only solution I found was for the players to have the modules on their own hard drives. This allowed me to share the maps without having a library index, but it is an imperfect solution for most DMs that cannot trust their players as I do mine. Is there any way we can truly share module-contained maps and images or even story pages/items, etc, without creating a library index for them?

On a side note, when I gave the players my module so they could view shared module maps without a library index, the module appeared in their module list, though they can't 'open the book' for it. It just keeps flipping closed. I just force load it for them anyway, but it's worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDM
    On a side note, when I gave the players my module so they could view shared module maps without a library index, the module appeared in their module list, though they can't 'open the book' for it. It just keeps flipping closed. I just force load it for them anyway, but it's worth noting.
    The snapping closed just means it is not a client module openable module. If it isn't a client module, players will not normally be able to get it to stay open.

It's worth noting that I went ahead and changed the client.xml to common.xml for my eqd20spells.mod file and it's finally showing up in the player's library as long as I force it to load.

I'm not sure what changed between the time Griogre mentioned to try naming the client.xml to the other types and now, but it works and I won't have to send the .mod files to my players.

The headache of making sure the players have all the updated contents has lessened considerably. Now if I can convince a monkey to do the data entry from the PHB and into the spells mod life would be good.
    Question: How does an Assamite find herself between a 12ft murder machine and a high place?

Answer: When she's running away from a werewolf in Crinos and she has to jump onto a fire escape with the Phobia: High Places flaw

Quote Originally Posted by ldyparadox99
    It's worth noting that I went ahead and changed the client.xml to common.xml for my eqd20spells.mod file and it's finally showing up in the player's library as long as I force it to load.

I'm not sure what changed between the time Griogre mentioned to try naming the client.xml to the other types and now, but it works and I won't have to send the .mod files to my players.

The headache of making sure the players have all the updated contents has lessened considerably. Now if I can convince a monkey to do the data entry from the PHB and into the spells mod life would be good.
    It shows up - but are they actually able to access anything in the file? My files show up fine in the library - but the players are unable to access anything "inside" the library itself...
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Ok...disregard me :S I don't know what happened since yesterday when I checked...but now it all works fine :S So long as the book is "open" on the GM's side, things are cool.

One thing I noticed tho - the players are not able to "open" the books in themodule activation - but that doesn't seem to affect the operation of the data transfer - ie: Its workin just hunky dory now

Great work guys - and thanks for puttin up with a whiny guy

peace

V
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Thread Information