5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    I'd still like to know if it's possible to use modules WITHOUT a library index but with 'shared' data to be able to share image files in an adventure without the PCs having the module.

I don't really understand your question, Sniper. I can make a module, export it with out indexing and share the images in the module. Is that what you are asking? In fact that is how I usually make adventure modules.

Because you would normally do this for an adventure module it seems like you are asking a trick question.
    Last edited by Griogre; June 4th, 2007 at 04:04.

Then I must be doing something wrong. Like I said above, I tried doing this with a single module as all three export options. In all cases, when I share an image contained in this module, it causes both my players to freeze so that they have to CTRL+ALT+DEL out of fantasygrounds. The only solution was to give the players the module file.

I guess I'll have to keep trying, but again, I've exported the same module as 'common' 'client' and 'host.' No luck.

Hmm. Ok to export a adventure I load the campaign I'm going to make a module from. I then type /export in the chat to pop the export window. I type in the name of the module, the filename and put my initials in the author name. I tab through the next two entries leaving them with the default text and give the thumbnail path. Next I just check Story, Images & Maps, Personalites, and Items. Only the Host data will be checked and I leave that alone. I right click and select export. You should get a success message.

I load up the campaign I'm going to use the module in. Select the module and make sure the book is open. I then open maps and images click on an image and then right click and either preload it first on the players machines or just share it. The image should pop on the players machines.

Hrm, you may have just solved my problem Griogre but I won't know until I can get a player to test it for me.

The key is...
    I tab through the next two entries leaving them with the default text
    See, I think I've actually been putting text in there, and one of them has to do with library indexing, I just realized. I don't check the circles for library indexing in the middle section, but perhaps by naming the index anyway, this is creating a conundrum on my players' clients as they load the module or image, causing the freeze. I've just exported a new version with those lines empty as a 'host' module like you suggested, and will give it a test when my guinea. . .I mean PLAYERS. . .are available.

Thank you for the tips.
    Last edited by SniperDM; June 4th, 2007 at 10:29.

Just an update. I tested this and it's still causing my players to freeze, if they don't have the module installed on their own machines. I'm looking at the file and all the data is under a 'db.xml' meaning it should be of the host type. I'm sort of short on ideas. I'd post a copy of the module here but it's full of licensed content and that would be bad. So I guess I'll just have to stick with giving my players the module.

You might try having your guys delete the module they have and then try. I believe FG2 will read off of their machine first which may be a corrupted module. If you still have problems I would suggest you send the campaign to customer support so they can take a look at it.

I have looked over the code for SniperDM - and I _think_ it has something to do with how he originally exported the module.

At first I thought he was coding things from scratch, but after looking it over it became clear he did the data entry in FGII. Basically its a "standard" adventure type module.

The best solution is to simply delete all instances of the module, then - presuming you used a seperate campaign to key this data in - just rexport the module selecting "S" on all items you wish to share with your players. (I tested by selecting S on each item - Story, Images, NPCs, etc). Since the players do not need the actual text within the module, and only the images, this should work - as I have tested this export function on this end.

Hopefully that makes some sense...if not, I'll be around pretty much all day until about 10pm GMT+1 (so for about another 12hrs or so).
    Vincent Kingston
    [email protected]

Just a heads up that the problem is solved. I can't say for certain what it was. There were escape characters in the text of the campaign database that I deleted, also when I exported this time I used a different file name than the one I had been using and deleted the old file. Since Kalan suggested deleting all instances of the old module I suspect this might have been the solution. Technology is such a fickle goddess. I used 'host' to export though, and it seems to work fine.

Your help has been indispensable on this Kalan. Thanks again for your assistance.

Thread Information