DICE PACKS BUNDLE

sizing grid precision

Currently when sizing the grid, you have a precision of only 1 decimal place. While this is awesome, and very helpful for aligning maps, I have found an number of maps where this makes it impossible to align as they may be 30.25 or 30.66 size grid for example.

Would it be possible to allow for 2 decimal place precision when sizing the grid?

*EDIT: Just wanted to mention, I am aware of the mapalign utility which helps with resizing maps to fit the grid, but that doesnt work for hex maps. And that utility does allow 2 decimal precision.
    Last edited by mattekure; October 27th, 2020 at 16:48.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    Currently when sizing the grid, you have a precision of only 1 decimal place. While this is awesome, and very helpful for aligning maps, I have found an number of maps where this makes it impossible to align as they may be 30.25 or 30.66 size grid for example.

Would it be possible to allow for 2 decimal place precision when sizing the grid?
    Yes please!

Particularly when working with maps from PDFs and/or scans it would really be helpful.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    The grid size displayed is rounded to the nearest 1/10th, however, you enter values with greater precision. E.g, type-in 30.66 and the grid size will be set to 30.66 and displayed as 30.7.

Hmm, I played around with that and didnt think it was working. But now I do see tiny shifts when I use that level of precision and I do see the full precision number in the db.xml entry for the map. What is the max precision possible? 2, 3 decimals? Arbitrary?

I'm not sure why, but the hex grid just seems more difficult to align with some printed material. and I am not sure what independently tweaking the x,y of the hex is really doing. But I got it close enough for now.

thanks
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    Hmm, I played around with that and didnt think it was working. But now I do see tiny shifts when I use that level of precision and I do see the full precision number in the db.xml entry for the map. What is the max precision possible? 2, 3 decimals? Arbitrary?

I'm not sure why, but the hex grid just seems more difficult to align with some printed material. and I am not sure what independently tweaking the x,y of the hex is really doing. But I got it close enough for now.

thanks
    The precision is arbitrary. The correlation between the width and height numbers and the hex depend on the orientation of the hexes. For row hexes, the width is equal to horizontal distance between the "flat" sides of the hex. For column hexes, the height is equal to the vertical distance between the "flat" top and bottom edges. When the width and height numbers are equal, the hex is equilateral.

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    The precision is arbitrary. The correlation between the width and height numbers and the hex depend on the orientation of the hexes. For row hexes, the width is equal to horizontal distance between the "flat" sides of the hex. For column hexes, the height is equal to the vertical distance between the "flat" top and bottom edges. When the width and height numbers are equal, the hex is equilateral.
    That is super helpful info, thanks much!

Thread Information