STAR TREK 2d20

Combining damage from two attacks for special abilities.

Hi there!

I was wondering how to handle damage from abilities such as Double Slice where you need to add the damage of two attacks before applying them to a creature for DR purpose and other bonuses. Is this something that's even possible?

Here's the text from the CRB for double slice:
    If both attacks hit, combine their damage, and then add any other applicable effects from both weapons. You add any precision damage only once, to the attack of your choice. Combine the damage from both Strikes and apply resistances and weaknesses only once. This counts as two attacks when calculating your multiple attack penalty.

I can figure out how to do the ATK: -2 part for the 2nd attack, just not the damage.

thanks!

No automated way of doing it, just roll your strikes

If they both hit, UNTARGET your target
    Roll damage for both hits (hold the shift key down on any critical damage rolls)
    Drag first damage from chat to the modifier box
    Drag second damage from chat to the modifier box
    Then drag the TOTALED amount from the modifier box to the [WND] box on the combat tracker of the creature your attacking.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

thanks! I can work with that.

I didn't know about the shift key for critical! that's super useful. Is there a page on the wiki that lists all of those special shortcut/modifier keys somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    No automated way of doing it, just roll your strikes

If they both hit, UNTARGET your target
    Roll damage for both hits (hold the shift key down on any critical damage rolls)
    Drag first damage from chat to the modifier box
    Drag second damage from chat to the modifier box
    Then drag the TOTALED amount from the modifier box to the [WND] box on the combat tracker of the creature your attacking.
    You could also just roll the first damage untargetted, add that damage to the modifier box, then target and roll the second damage.

Although in most cases in my game it ends up being roll attack and damage on both attacks, realize they should have been combined, correct/fudge the applied damage after the second attack.

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Is this info on the wiki somewhere? would be nice as I had searched originally, but found nothing.

thanks for the info everyone!

Quick extra question:

Does copying the first dmg result in the modifier box keep the dmg types that were generated by the attack? If the first attack was with a +1 striking flaming dagger, then the dmg types would be 2d4 magi+piercing and 1d6 fire. if I'm hitting something with fire immunity would copying the total value to the mod box keep and calculate for that?

I'm assuming i'd have to do some mental math before the copy right? It's be awesome if this was done automatically though.

Sadly, I do not think it works that way

Honestly, what I have done is have a combined damage box for these combo attacks and then have players attack individually first... if both hit, then they apply the combined damage attack to ensure they get all the modifiers together or the individual damages otherwise.

It's not ideal, but until our grandmaster coder comes up with something more elegant for these things, it's how I work around it.

Here's a screenshot of Leena, our elven fighter with double slice:

She is currently using her Shortsword as a slashing weapon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ShadeRaven; October 24th, 2020 at 14:39.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Yeah, that's similar to what I was doing before creating this thread. I had three scenarios though, one like yours for regular damage and both attacks as crits, one for 1st attack as crit 2nd attack as normal, and the last as the opposite.

It works, it's just not super clean. (not complaining, i absolutely love the automation FG provides!) Workarounds are better than a flat out no, you can't!

Thread Information