DICE PACKS BUNDLE

LFP: +1 Player for a long-term Conan campaign (Wed 6-9 PST/9-12EST)

SYSTEM: Conan 2d20

EXPERIENCE: None required, rules taught.

SETTING: Robert E. Howard's Conan. Sword & Sorcery. Low magic. Deadly. Setting knowledge not required.

GM BACKGROUND: GM since late 1970s.

PLAYER EXPECTATION: Looking for a player who can be consistent, on-time, and drama free. We play to have fun, and we want players to be part of the group. If you can't commit to a long-term campaign, can't show up on-time or consistently, or if you have a history of drama, this isn't the campaign for you.

Unlike D&D, this campaign will be episodic in nature while maintaining continuity. The only time we'll cover travel is when it's relevant. Otherwise, play will pick up at the next adventure start. This maps well to Howard's stories, and it avoids bogging down on things like random encounters.

Play style should be action-adventure, with a good mix of combat, roleplaying opportunities, and problem solving.

We would like to do a character creation/meet the group Session 0 on 28 OCT 2020.
    Last edited by PhilAdams; October 21st, 2020 at 03:37.

I have no experience with the system but play conan exiles enough to be familiar with the deadly environment/theme. Does low magic = no casting classes?

The video game obviously takes some artistic license with the setting, but it probably gives you a taste. That's important.

In Conan, magic power comes at the cost of corruption (sanity, depravity, self-destruction, etc.). Generally, the protagonists are not magical, no. In fact, except for a handful of instances, magic is used purely for very bad causes. I strongly discourage sorcerer PCs. Also, the magic of the setting isn't like D&D at all. Sorcerers don't lob fireballs and such. They largely use dark forces (demons, etc.) to perform tasks for them or use power from those sources to cause damage, etc.

Right, like summoning a skeletal serpentman using corrupted bones and Defari Witchcraft.

Is that from the Exiles game? If so, yes, it does a pretty nice job of encapsulating the corruption.

In the very first Conan short story Howard wrote, one of the antagonists summons a demon (to kill another antagonist AND Conan). The demon summoning is made possible through killing someone.

Powerful sorcery (and witchcraft) in the setting comes at a cost and can easily backfire.

Okay, I think we'll close this thread. I believe we have a player. Thanks!

Thread Information