5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Voice?

Voice?

I was curious how many people use some sort of VOIP system during their sessions in FG, whether for OOC talk or whatever.

The reason I'm asking, is I have a 48 man ventrilo server that I was using for something else, that it's no longer being used for that purpose anymore so I decided I would keep it to use with FG. Only, right now, the game I'm in isn't using Voice really.. so I have a totally unused 48 man vent server that if anyone wants to use feel free to do so. Just let me know and I'll PM you the details or go to my site (listed in Signature) and on the main page there's a little blurb you can click on for the details.

I'm sure most ppl that use any kind of VOIP already have something they're using, but I figure I'll make the offer anyways since I'm gonna keep the server around.
    "Excellence can be attained if you Care more than others think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical, and Expect more than others think is possible." - Author Unknown.

I like when the DM uses voice, just to kinda move things along a bit faster. It's also good for quick OOC talk.

I don't like using it for in-game talk however, most people seem able to RP a LOT better through text.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Astrum
    I like when the DM uses voice, just to kinda move things along a bit faster. It's also good for quick OOC talk.

I don't like using it for in-game talk however, most people seem able to RP a LOT better through text.
    Totally agree with both statements. I don't entirely understand why people RP better in text than voice - but they sure seem to.

I too agree with you both, I play with my old school friends using skype and it's more hack n slah than role playing

MB

Previously: MurghBpurn

We use Skype since we never go over 4 players + DM and have liked that a lot. We tend to use it for a lot of Ooc and rules talk. Character dialogue and acting is all done through text though. Much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    Totally agree with both statements. I don't entirely understand why people RP better in text than voice - but they sure seem to.
    Interesting, I always used voice and my players seem to be very good at RP but I'm thinking of trying a no voice session just for the kick. Might just give me more time to do my stuff behind the screen... Sometimes, things run so fast that my players wait for me quite often. If they had stuff to do too, they'd at least understand if not be too busy to notice the lag

I think people tend to be better through text because voice is actually only 5% to 20% of communication.
    By that I mean that face expression and body language takes 95% to 80% of communication.
    And you cannot have body language through those voice channels.
    Always keep it in perspective!

Skype for everything except dice rolls and whispers (although if it's a lengthy whisper session, the people will just start a new call between them, which put the main call on hold for them). I'm one of the lucky ones to have a Intel Duo Core 2, so I can host up to 10 people on my Skype, which has finally allowed us add a new member.

I would wager that our RP would actually get better if we did text, but things move along so much faster - and participation in the game isn't constrained by typing speed - when using voice.
    Last edited by sunbeam60; May 11th, 2007 at 12:49.

Yes, I like the speed of voice too...

Instead of Skype, do use Ventrilo;
    You can have whispers on it and pass sound like music and such on it.
    Always keep it in perspective!

We use Teamspeak for ours (I happened to have a server setup for that). Works nicely...I agree with the better rp in text though, but it's still nice for ease
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.
    PC 1: So if we kill a 'M' is it reincarnated as a 'W'?
    PC 2: That damn 'O' just won't die!

I use Teamspeak also because of my size group and the fact I can drop the codex down to 6.3 if I have someone in a hotel on dialup. Voice chat absolutely speeds up combat and rules questions.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 11th, 2007 at 19:10.

Thread Information