Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Tokens lose LOS history when transitioning between maps

When I've played around with LOS in FGU, it seems like tokens/characters only remember LOS history (fog of war) for the map that they're currently on. If I move a token around on Map A and reveal some of the map, then drag/drop it onto Map B, then eventually drag it back to Map A (because the party revisited the original part of the dungeon, for example) I'd like the tokens to be able to remember the previously-explored areas on Map A instead of the players being presented with a fully-masked-except-for-the-current-room image.

I'm hoping this is just a case of my typical usage not matching up with the expected usage patterns and that I can get the behavior I'm looking for by doing things slightly differently. I can see where there would be some challenges with players opening a map that their token is not currently on, but in my ideal world it would show them the LOS history (fog of war) for whatever token/character they have active even if it's on a different map.
    Last edited by hoosierc; October 13th, 2020 at 22:08. Reason: clarify that by "line of sight history" I'm referring to "fog of war"

Indeed. tokens removed from a map for any reason lose the line of sight.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know if there's a plan for saving LOS history in the future?

My players have gotten used to being able to open up old maps to view the unmasked portions, and trying to manage both LOS and manual masking (and toggling them on/off as appropriate when we move maps) seems like a logistical challenge. Even if I did try to update the manual mask to match LOS data, as far as I know that would result in every player having the same history available for old maps rather than having a customized mask for each player based on what their token(s) saw.

Blog Entries
    I have not heard the devs talk about it. There might be a similar suggestion on the Wish List (link in Mr Z's sig). It does mean the database size will grow, but I'm all for this idea myself.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There might be a similar suggestion on the Wish List (link in Mr Z's sig). It does mean the database size will grow, but I'm all for this idea myself.
    I couldn't find one that already exists, so I added https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=134680. Thanks for the idea!

Sounds like you may be talking about a FoW (Fog of War) Effect over a LoS effect, 2 slightly different things, but I'm sure you're desired effect caould be used with masking instead of using LoS

Quote Originally Posted by dbawldy View Post
    Sounds like you may be talking about a FoW (Fog of War) Effect over a LoS effect, 2 slightly different things, but I'm sure you're desired effect caould be used with masking instead of using LoS
    Yes, what I referred to as "line of sight history" is commonly referred to as "fog of war". @dbawldy, how do you propose getting per-token masking without using LoS (and without the GM having to pause the game to trace each token's FoW bounds as a mask before transitioning to a new map)?
    Last edited by hoosierc; October 13th, 2020 at 22:01. Reason: fix typo in username

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierc View Post
    I couldn't find one that already exists, so I added https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=134680. Thanks for the idea!
    You can right click on a token now and clear LoS history.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Wow, I just assumed that keeping Fog of War from LOS for each map for each token would just be a thing. Losing that information when a token moves to a different map is a disappointment. I get that it might not be necessary for every map, but it should be a thing a DM can turn on and off for maps that would benefit from it.

I'm also quite dismayed to see all the tutorials deftly dance around this issue. Hey, LOS keeps fog of war so you can see where you have been. Then they carefully do NOT elaborate that it goes away once your token leaves the map.

When I ran into this "feature" I assumed I had to be doing something wrong. After much searching, I discover than I'm not. Ugh.

So, now that I know how this works, I've been playing with it more. If you swap between mask and LOS mode, it wipes out the fog of war for LOS even if you don't move the tokens.

At the very least, LOS and mask mode should be able to work together smoothly without one completely wiping out the other. Any campaign where locations are used repeatedly are basically useless with LOS, which is tragic.

Thread Information