FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[ERROR] Unable to target token not linked to combat tracker entry.

[ERROR] Unable to target token not linked to combat tracker entry.

I have been getting the error shown above from time to time for months with all of my D&D 5e campaigns. I have made sure I'm setting up the combat tracker correctly and I still get this error sometimes. It happened again yesterday with a random encounter. Added the encounter to the combat tracker from the encounter window using the "add to combat tracker' button and I get the error when trying to target the PCs from the combat tracker. I tried it again this morning and found I could target using Ctrl+Click but it does not register in the combat tracker. Players were having the same issue yesterday. They could target using Ctrl+Click but it did not register in their combat tracker. You could usually tell the creature was targeted from the distance arrow but even that did not work sometimes. Targeting was registering properly in the GM combat tracker yesterday but this morning its not registering at all. I've attached an image where you can see the PC is targeted by the arrow but it is not registered in the combat tracker. GM Log also attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Do you have any subfolders or unpacked files in your ruleset folder?
    Can you replicate in a new campaign?
    It does not look like any extensions you are using should cause this, but have you tried/replicated without any of the extensions or themes loaded?
    Do you know if it happens to only certain types of encounters? Like those you created yourself, or ones from a specific module, or only ones you have modified to place on your own maps, or...?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Make sure that the little cross on the modifier box isn't selected.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Doh! I always forget about that one

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Which little cross? Had this happen last Monday and I deleted and re-placed the player tokens from the combat tracker to fix.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Which little cross? Had this happen last Monday and I deleted and re-placed the player tokens from the combat tracker to fix.
    In the roll modifier box (bottom left corner by default) is a small targeting reticle. Players can click this off and disable some modes of targeting.

Ah, that thing - never used it knowingly. If it happens again I will check that first. Thanks

I don't think the targeting toggle is the issue.

@Jiminimonka - does the error appear in the FG console? Or somewhere else?

If removing and replacing the PC token fixed the issue then there may be something happening with the PC token instance on the image/CT linking subsystem.

If it happens again, double-click on the token on the map - does it open the PC/NPC sheet? If not, then the link between the token and the combat tracker.

Another check is to add the token from the CT to the map again without removing the original token first. If the original token is still there then FG has lost the link between the token and the CT entry. This can happen if the PC was removed from the CT, but the token wasn't removed from the map (although I can't recreate the error doing this).
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 12th, 2020 at 21:42.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I don't think the targeting toggle is the issue.

@Jiminimonka - does the error appear in the FG console? Or somewhere else?

If removing and replacing the PC token fixed the issue then there may be something happening with the PC token instance on the image/CT linking subsystem.

If it happens again, double-click on the token on the map - does it open the PC/NPC sheet? If not, then the link between the token and the combat tracker.

Another check is to add the token from the CT to the map again without removing the original token first. If the original token is still there then FG has lost the link between the token and the CT entry. This can happen if the PC was removed from the CT, but the token wasn't removed from the map (although I can't recreate the error doing this).
    Trenloe, yes I can confirm that the link between the token and combat tracker was broken. I moved the creature token from the combat tracker to the map without removing the original token and it remained on the map with the new token as well. I should also mention that the combat tracker and targeting was working fine during a previous encounter earlier in the game (same session). So this error appeared midgame.

I have seen this error appear with pre-made encounters (from purchased module) and modified or new encounters as well and with stock maps (from modules) and custom maps. This error has appeared with LoS and without.

Originally deleting the token and replacing did not fix the error. This morning I cleared the combat tracker of all combatants and then dragged them back in one by one and now it appears to function as it should. But mind you, this is without any players connect to the game.

LordEntrails, I do not have any subfolders or unpacked files in the "rulesets" folder. I do have several folders and subfolders in the "campaigns", "images", "portraits", and "tokens" folders.

This appears to be a bug to me and I hope this info will help to resolve it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

If you delete the PC entry from the CT, it does not remove the token from the map (like it does with NPCs). At that point, the token will not be linked to anything.

Other than that, any unlinked tokens (i.e. added to map from somewhere other than CT) will generate that message when you attack/damage/heal/etc.

I'm not sure what the bug is exactly. If you still think it's a bug, could you recreate the issue for me with specific steps, so I can make sure any issues are addressed?

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information