STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Beginner Box?

I agree with you, Trenloe. As an example, I chose to buy the discounted pdf's (paizo's black friday's 25% off deal on all pdf's I think) to buy all the condition, armor, adventuring gear and critical hit and fumble decks. The artwork is great and I was able to spend a couple hrs to get all the decks (except critical hit and fumble for now) into an FG module. However, for the beginner box I will definitely wait and pay for the conversion. 100% worth it for me and I want to continue to support smiteworks. Definitely options, though.
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It's not just a single level adventure. It's also all the data to create a beginner box character and play them to level 3. And it's well over 100 hours of development - ruleset changes, adventure, bestiary, ancestry, background, class, weapon, armor, shield and gear data, etc., etc..

As usual, if anyone feels the price of a product if way too expensive then you can always enter all of the data yourself. Pay $15 for the PDFs from Paizo and do the work yourself, or pay another $25 to have it all done for you. With over 100 hours of developer time spent on this product already, I personally don't think that $40, including the Paizo PDFs, is "WAY too expensive". Only you can decide if that's too expensive for you or not.
    I feel like I am being taken out of context here, or at least having my intent misunderstood/misrepresented.

I am not asking for this myself, I am not intentionally disrespecting the effort that you and others have put into products released so far and specifically the ruleset.

I am saying that to get people into GMing in fantasygrounds it is an expensive path for the adventure that I think is best suited to getting people into PF2e GMing / playing for the first time. And thus the one I would currently wish to direct people towards.
    For a 1-4 adventure it ends up being $65, the extra content from the Beginner Box is temporarily useful for GMs, and not so much for those who already own the bestiaries and CRBs or plan to buy them.

My comment was purely on the sticker price shock it commands compared to other products, as something that would likely naturally push people away from it as a comfortable entry point, and I don't think I can recommend people buy it who are just stepping into FG for the first time.

And as for new GMs that are being converted to FG data entrying it themselves.

For the record:
    - I buy every non adventure module as it comes out, even if I have already entered the data manually and created my own modules.
    - I have spent a lot on FG, I have no qualms doing so, my comments were not regarding me but regarding the already strong kickback people have.
    - I speak on this as someone who wants more people to buy FG pathfinder content and to help the community to continue growing.
    - I am very thankful and supportive of the people who have worked to make PF2e on FG what it is currently, specifically you Trenloe.

It wouldn't be such an issue if plaguestone was a more appealing intro module and less of a meat grinder -mutters-

Too bad Paizo won't subsidize this and sell the beginner box for like $10. Charging $40 when many people just want the beginner adventure seems quite expensive.

I am on the edge of getting Fantasy Grounds to host some Pathfinder. I have the Beginner Box at home, and digital, and love it. Was looking on the site and couldn't find it here. This would probably push me over the edge to dive full into VTT with Fantasy Grounds if the Beginner Box was available.

Love what I am seeing with your product, this was the only thread I saw referencing the Beginner Box being added.

Also: First Post!

It's coming, slowly... it's forcing a lot of changes to the ruleset, which is holding the release up. On the plus side, it means new functionality to all PF2 users, not just with the Beginner Box.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

As far as the cost of this stuff. I find Fantasy Grounds stuff to be wicked cheap. Since it's linked to my Paizo account, I can get a whole adventure for around 7 bucks with the work all done for me. I can't give them my money fast enough.

I want this as well. I may by the set but I dont need it. I am getting it solely for the troubles in otari module as I really want it to dovetail into other things I am doing. Also Otari is the new 'Falcons Hollow' (starter area from long ago) and I love the writing so far.

Keep up the good work Team Smiteworks. Your efforts are really appreciated!

Hi. A question on this upcoming product. You mention all the rules changes needed to create this. I’m confused, isn’t the beginner box just the same rules as the main game but with reduced options for beginner players?

Secondly, if this does mean changes for it, does that mean I wouldn’t be able to GM the adventure module for “real” characters using the full rule set if I wished?
    Many thanks, really looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmission89 View Post
    Hi. A question on this upcoming product. You mention all the rules changes needed to create this. I’m confused, isn’t the beginner box just the same rules as the main game but with reduced options for beginner players?
    They're reduced options, yes. But there are also differences that need to be coded for.

Secondly, if this does mean changes for it, does that mean I wouldn’t be able to GM the adventure module for “real” characters using the full rule set if I wished?
    You can use the "core rules" to run the scenario without issue.

Many thanks, really looking forward to this.
    It won't be for at least 4-6 weeks yet.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information