STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

server character, home character

Questions about server characters vs. characters that players have on their own computers:

If I want to run a campaign where the Players can only adjust their character sheets while in the game, they have to build their character when they first join the campaign, correct? From that point on it is housed on the DM's computer? Can they at least view the server character?

What's to stop a player from creating a character identical from the one on the campaign mentioned above, and then next session running the one from that one from their own machine? Is it listed somewhere whether the character is a server character, or is there a way to bar players from playing with anything other than server characters for a particular campaign?

In FG2 each character loaded onto the server is kept seperately. So if you have a player who changed his character each session you would see a series of copies for that character and be obvious what he was doing.

There should be a way to capture a server character again. If you want to update something on the local character you have to screen cap the server char to get every (in game) change - its a drag.

sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    In FG2 each character loaded onto the server is kept seperately. So if you have a player who changed his character each session you would see a series of copies for that character and be obvious what he was doing.
    Griogre, are you saying that if a player uses a local character in your campaign, a written copy is archived session by session when they log on? Where are these copies located for viewing?

The server keeps 1 copy that is updated in play. If the players update their local character and re-log on, I think they make another server character that duplicates the local char.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Like Sigurd said, every time you have a player log on with a local character instead of the server character - he creates a new server character. This is very different from FG1 which use to just overwrite the character which often was a huge problem. People would do this by accident and suddenly revert back to a character they started the campaign with. I knew people who would delete their local characters to make *sure* there was no chance of this happening.

Well how do you guys play it usually? Do you ask your players to use a character that lives on your server (is that the correct terminology? does it actually live on your server?) or do you have them make a local character and keep a running list of all the progressions of their characters each session (isn't this tedious?)

I have them use one server character. That is really what the app expects. The whole local character thing was apparently more to setup a starting character so you wouldn't have to do it in game. The change to FG2 I think was just a response to so many players accidently overwriting their server characters with local ones. It's there to protect the server character.

If I saw a bunch of characters I would think the player was clueless and tell him to quit making characters and once he got his stuff sorted out I would delete all the extra copies (character xml is fairly large particulary for spell casters). I should mention that in some of my campaigns, the character sheet of record is kept on my Yahoo Group.

Thanks for the input.

Another question on this topic. Let's say I'm running a campaign and I have a character that I want another player to run, how can I do that? Is there a way to pass characters to other players if, say for instance, the original owner can't make it to the game and agrees to have another player to run the character? Where are the characters "stored"?

This is easy to do. I do it. All you have to do is clear the owner on the list of characters (right click on the character in the character list and select "clear owner"). This sets the owner to none and allows any player to run the character. You can do this after the players are already logged in but they may have to open and close the character list again to see the character appear. One caution, the delete character option is on the same right click menu so be carefull.

Also remember once you do this, you will need to clear the owner again from who actually ran it, so the player that actually owns the character will be able to see it next time. One last comment, even if I am going to run the character myself I will ask a player to open the character for me so I can use the combat tracker with the character.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 10th, 2007 at 20:50.

Thread Information