FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    For this very same reason I crafted myself an extension that goes away with the CT button for the players. It's not optimal, and I wish there was a way to hide the npcs from players in the CT (not just when they're invisible). I can share the extension, but it's been a while since I last used it and I'd like to test it first. Also I'm about to go to bed, so if you want it I can share it in a few hours
    I admit to being confused what you are trying to achieve. If the players haven't seen the monster, mark it as invisible and they can't see it. If they can see it and don't know the type, mark it as unidentified. If you want to hide the turn order, select the appropriate option in the options menu.
    From what I gather, you want the player to not know he is fighting while fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldAndy View Post
    I admit to being confused what you are trying to achieve. If the players haven't seen the monster, mark it as invisible and they can't see it. If they can see it and don't know the type, mark it as unidentified. If you want to hide the turn order, select the appropriate option in the options menu.
    From what I gather, you want the player to not know he is fighting while fighting?
    I think it's about knowing the initiative order. If they want to know the order, it's up to them to track it if they're paying attention.
    That the only 'benefit' I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldAndy View Post
    I want to achieve many things. They're specially designed for dungeon crawl types of games, and that's why I only use my extension on those.

-Party vision isn't shared, so what one player sees the others can't and that's already coded on FGU. If one player sees a monster around the corner, that doesn't mean that every one in the party should know what it is.
    -If you see one monster, it doesn't mean that you know how many of them are there, turning around a corner and noticing there are actually more of them. Putting them on CT would reveal their numbers.
    -There are different types of monsters, the players might have seen one type but not another type, it's a completely different feeling when you are fighting goblins and when you enter a room you get stuck with a gelatinous cube and your friends have no idea about it.
    -I really, really don't want to go putting them into invisible on and off over and over when they are seeing or not, if their characters see it, they see it. If they don't, they don't. VTTs are there for making GMs life easier, not harder.

Too summarize: When you add monsters to CT, you give them info that they do not know yet. What's wrong with your sentence "From what I gather, you want the player to not know he is fighting while fighting?", is that the group isn't a collective mind, nor they automatically know the number os monsters just because they saw one, nor I want to keep checking for line of sights to turn tokens visible or not. I just want to put all the nearby tokens on CT, and that the players have access to what they actually see.

Removing the CT is a way to do that, but I wish I could simply make it so the players don't see any monsters on CT like many others VTT do, or even better: That a player only sees in the CT what their characters can actually see.

Then again, I don't only run dungeon crawl games, and I don't really care about it on other types of games.

Edit: Also, I've included the extension for those who find use to it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I curious, wouldn't using encounters work better for this use case? Setup an encounter for say a room with the critter(s) in that room (or hallway), then when that encounter is found (it can be pinned to the map), add them to the CT from the encounter, and it only adds those critters from that encounter.

You can also set the option for random numbers to be added to the critters, that way the total quantity is not known.

Definitely wouldn't. I always set up encounters, but as soon as the encounter is up, when a monster is visible the entire party knows about it.

It has nothing to do with encounters, it's a completely different problem.

I don't know what I think the interesting thing would be, I could popularize the area with a meeting, and that meeting would start different CTs and whoever is in it would only be visible to really see it on the map, but as I am not able to speak I don't know if it would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    I want to achieve many things. They're specially designed for dungeon crawl types of games, and that's why I only use my extension on those.
    Ah, now I understand. You are trying to separate character knowledge to a degree not normally possible in a RL situation without sending all the other players out of the room. I would generally assume that a character walking into a room with a monster would yell "Fluffing heck, there's a XXX here" telling all the other characters. Of course, if they were too far away to hear or otherwise completely distracted, that would make sense. The only suggestion I can reasonably think of is set the un-id'ed name to "A Monster", hide the damage tracker, and you could whisper to the player the actual monster name and/or description.
    Regardless of anything else, the other players will know that the Character is fighting as they will see the dice being rolled, whether their characters do or not is a different matter.

A little necro thread here.
    I would really like to hide the combat tracker from the players too. I have a couple of good players that always use the combat tracker to know what's on the board even when the characters should not. They glean as much info from the tracker as possible. Since players can target what is on the map, they don't NEED the tracker. Since they can "see" really well using Fantasy Grounds super line of sight walls and lighting, again, the players do not NEED to see the combat tracker. When playing table top with minis, I have never in 40 years of gaming given a list of all combatants to the players, and that's what CT does. Making some invisible doesn't fix this issue either, if your players and NPC combatants are all in the room, they should be not be invisible, that doesn't mean I want players seeing "okay, there are 20 minions and 10 standards and I think these 3 are big bosses" besides the meta, it's not feasible to use single toggle visibility to on off each NPC as it comes into line of sight, which is what I've been doing. It would just be great to not let the players use the CT and still run a combat off the map alone.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Give aid to those in need when you are able. Never follow thoughts of gain into the pursuit of evil, and never hesitate to kill the villain while you have the chance.

You can turn off detailed health display, turn down health status tiers to simple, and turn off turn visibility. That will give you a very simple player CT.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Does the extension in post #13 no longer work? Either way, you should add the suggestion to the wish list

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information