5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Option to hide the combat tracker.

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to completely hide the combat tracker from the players.

The reason I want to hide it is so people can't see the complete turn order and meta game using information their characters shouldn't have access to.
    It also keeps them on their toes if they don't know when their turn is coming up.

You can hide the turn order from the players' combat tracker in Options -> Combat (GM) -> Player: Show turn order. If you set it to Friendly, they can see their fellow PCs turn order, but not the enemies. If set to No, it hides the turn order completely.

More on options here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...mpaign+Options

You can also set the initiative to re-roll at the end of each turn and there are various options for how much or little information that the PCs see as far as enemy health is concerned.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I see, so I'm guessing the only way to make enemies not appear on the tracker is if they are set to invisible.
    I was kind of hoping there was an option to turn it off completely on the players side so they wouldn't know about the mobs on say the 2nd floor but not have them appear one by one once someone climbs up the stairs.
    Seeing the mobs all at once due to clearing Los is a lot more of a heart stopping moment than them popping up one at a time.
    Or is there a group reveal option so a bunch of them but not all of them pop up at once?

Yes, visibility is controlled via the visibility option on the Combat Tracker. So if the NPC is visible on the CT they are also visible on the map (if the PCs have revealed that section of map) and vice versa. You can control which enemies are on the CT of course by splitting encounters up. In your example the encounter on the second floor would be a different one from the encounter on the first floor. So only the first floor encounter would be actioned and the NPCs would appear on the CT and on the map. The second floor encounter would be different and wouldn't be actioned until the PCs climbed to the second floor - unless of course you decide that the sounds of combat alerted those on the second floor and then you would action the encounter and on the NPCs turn they'd start to come downstairs and you would make each visible as they did so.

You can't really hide the combat tracker since it is essential for running combats; without it you couldn't run any combats at all.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I see, that makes sense.
    As for what I mean by hiding the combat tracker; the tracker window itself would be hidden on the player's side.
    The gm will have full access and view but the players will only have the map, their character sheets and what ever I pass onto them.
    If that makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense. But as I say without the Combat Tracker for both DM and players combat doesn't happen.

As mentioned above you can use the turn option to stop players seeing the turn order; you can stop them seeing the NPCs health bars (and their own for that matter); you can have initiative re-rolled at the start of every turn. You can even hide the names of the NPCs if you want as well. That should make life as difficult for your players as it can be.

What you can do to achieve what you're interested in is mark the 'mobs' you want the players not to see as invisible in the combat tracker but right click on their token on the map and make it visible.
    This will allow them to see it on the map when they get there, but it will not be shown to them in the combat tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    What you can do to achieve what you're interested in is mark the 'mobs' you want the players not to see as invisible in the combat tracker but right click on their token on the map and make it visible.
    This will allow them to see it on the map when they get there, but it will not be shown to them in the combat tracker.
    Does anyone know whether there will a way to select multiple tokens (click n drag) and one click to set token visibility for the selected group in the future?.
    It is slow to select each token and select the visibility setting you desire for each individual creature.
    Cheers

For this very same reason I crafted myself an extension that goes away with the CT button for the players. It's not optimal, and I wish there was a way to hide the npcs from players in the CT (not just when they're invisible). I can share the extension, but it's been a while since I last used it and I'd like to test it first. Also I'm about to go to bed, so if you want it I can share it in a few hours

Thread Information