DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFabulousIronChef View Post
    The only downside is that even if I go back to autosizing the tokens (either 80% of the grid or 100% of the grid), I somehow cannot get them to automatically be larger than one hex, so I have to resize all of them. Not the end of the world.
    All the tokens I've ever made have been based on the same pixel:hex ratio so they are always scaled appropriately to each other (including things like vehicles).
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
    All the tokens I've ever made have been based on the same pixel:hex ratio so they are always scaled appropriately to each other (including things like vehicles).
    I’m kind of new to the manipulation of/creation of images, so I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. I *think* I’m doing that also, but perhaps not. My hex grid is 70px. Not sure the size of my tokens. But I *think* the 2 hex and 3 hex tokens are bigger than the one hex tokens.

Gigermann What are the measurements of the file in pixels and hexagons?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFabulousIronChef View Post
    I’m kind of new to the manipulation of/creation of images, so I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. I *think* I’m doing that also, but perhaps not. My hex grid is 70px. Not sure the size of my tokens. But I *think* the 2 hex and 3 hex tokens are bigger than the one hex tokens.
    When you set the hex grid, if you always set it to the same size, you can also make sure your tokens are scaled at the same standard size. If you do this, you can turn scaling off and when you place your token, it will just automagically be the right size.

For example, lets say you decide that a hex is both 1 yard and 50 pixels. When you make a map for your game, you are mindful of this and scale your map such that 50 pixels == 1 yard. Then you make tokens and you have a 50x50 1-hex token. You can also make a 3x1 "three hex" token (or the aforementioned 3-hex-but-looks-like-2-hex-token) This token image would be 150 x 50 pixels.

If you take this 3x1 token on your 50 pixel per yard map and set your hex grid to 50 px and don't use token scaling at all, then your token will take up exactly 3x1 hexes.

This is how I did Spelljammer ship tokens. I looked up how long and wide the ship was, converted it to pixel size, resized my deck plan token image to be exactly that many pixels wide and high. Then I opened my map, set the dimensions for the hex grid to the same px, and turned off the token scaling. When I dropped the token on the map -- poof - my token was exactly the right size for the map.
    I wish my wife looked at me the same way that I look at my GURPS books.

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    Gigermann What are the measurements of the file in pixels and hexagons?
    The overall dimensions are 300×300px. Hex width (flat-sides) is 110px.
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

100x110 on hexagon?

Ah, ok. My hex size is 1 yard and 70 pixels. The image size I have for the three hex high/one hex wide token is 598 x 1352 pixels, at 144 dpi. Not quite sure that I can resize that without massive resolution loss, no?

A lot of my one hex images are 280 x 280, at 72 dpi, while others are at 512 x 512 at 72 dpi. There is no rhyme or reason to this; I never paid much attention to the pixel size, as they would often resize in Roll20 (which is what I originally created them for).

Here's a sample--a screenshot from Skyrim then edited and put onto a hex base, which is 512 x 512 at 72 dpi:
    Veldran Highworth Based Red Yellow Green.png
    Last edited by TheFabulousIronChef; October 13th, 2020 at 20:46.

There's not one resolution that's best. It's just if all the tokens you use are the same resolution (pixels:hex) then they will all scale correctly to each other without additional fiddling (and you can turn off auto-scale).

Thread Information