5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Using mac and lag issues

Soooooo, using Unity on the Mac for the first time the other night and had some serious lag issues. Was kind of fighting with the interface and with disadvantage. Didn't know if it was the game I was in, the settings, or the way the shell (wine?) works with the Mac. Is this common or am I not optimizing FG? Thanks for any help with this.

Depends on how many extension your using, the model of your mac, if you use port forwarding or not. So there are many factors to consider.

My lag issues before were related to, having to many extension and not being able to port forward during one session.
    Optimisation is still something worked on I believe.
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; September 28th, 2020 at 07:27.

You also don't say if you were the host or a player. Unity runs natively on mac so there's no Wine or anything like that. It will also depend on your machine specs.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for this reply!

Native to mac. Nicely done FG!
    I was one of the players. No extensions or mods were being used.

Blog Entries
    Was the lag with dice rolling? Or map/image sharing? Or Token moving? Or navigating lists?

See the link in my signature for general advice on what to include when reporting issues so we can get to a resolution quicker.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Also, we released a new build that was available on Friday morning that addressed a Mac system issue with the .Net libraries that the Unity system uses. (Basically, the system beep API in .Net was failing and spiking the GPU.)

What date is being reported in the version information on the upper right of the launch screen? (Before you click to Check For Updates.)

Thanks,
    JPG

v4.0.0.standard (2020-09-24)

Was that the version you were running on during your game the other night; or have you updated since then?

If the same version, we're still trying to track down the issue, and would be interested in getting a zipped up copy of the campaign from the GM.

Regards,
    JPG

I hope you guys are able to track to down whatever causes the fan to spike and cause the laptop to get hot (mac 2014 dual core 16gd). The Mac Silicon is coming out this year.

I ended up buying a license on my PC laptop 2019 Acer Predator 16 GB and it runs flawlessly so it has to do with the mac. Maybe my mac is too old...? Not sure as FoundryVTT was acting the same way on the macbook but Id think both Foundry and FGU wouldn't be that process intensive...

Actually, FGU is rendered completely on the GPU using the Unity game engine; so it is not a "lightweight" application as many people seem to assume. It requires a fair amount of processing power just for the basic desktop and supporting systems; and scales from that baseline.

I'm not surprised that you would see high CPU/GPU utilization on 6-7 year old hardware.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information