STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Can Savage Worlds track Heat Buildup on a weapon?

Hello!

I am importing a free fan created PDF for use in Fantasy Grounds and have encountered a weapon that can't be used if it builds up too much heat. The weapon acquires 1 Heat Unit for each round it is used or in use. At the end of each round that it wasn't used it cools off for 1 unit. It can have a maximum of 10 Heat Units. The weapon doesn't have ammo so for now I am using the ammo counter as a way to track the buildup in reverse. I give the weapon 10 shots and instruct the player to remove a shot at the end of each round that the weapon is in use. So the shots are acting as Negative Heat Units (NHU). If it has 10 shots (NHU) it can be used for 10 rounds. If it has 0 shots (NHU), it can't be used until it cools. It will work this way but is there a better way to track it?

All ideas are welcome!

No, not really.. That sounds like the best way to handle it. You could track it via effects but I doubt that would be easier or less work for you.

I suppose you could create a new item type/class, code it and/or rename stuff and all that but unless it is something that you will be using a lot probably not worth the effort.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

The device will probably be used most sessions if not every session for this setting so I will take a look into coding something up. I have some very rudimentary coding knowledge.

How about making vehicles that are actually weapons. Just populate a few stats like Group (Modern Military or Futuristic Military), Toughness, Cost and Availability. You could then track heat build up as wounds; 4th wound it malfunctions. You might even make it extra special and capable of sustaining targeted shots damage, which you could also track via wounds . If you want to get even crunchier/cooler/weirder about it, maybe allow a PC to burn a bennie and roll Shooting, Repair or Electronics (depending on weapon era & type) to dissipate heat build up and avoid damage - similar to soak rolls. Perhaps even use the Handling stat as a special bonus to that roll, reflecting a weapon designed with more durability - thinking of the good ol' drag-it-thru-the-dirt AK-47 here. Should probably create an edge for that similar to the Ace edge, or make the Marksman edge that much more powerful by allowing it.
    Last edited by kronovan; September 28th, 2020 at 22:36.

Those are all good ideas, but I would prefer to stick to the mechanics listed in the PDF. The player tracks heat buildup at the end of their turn if the device was used or in use on that turn. I am wondering if an extension could be made that would allow the player to check boxes for heat buildup/loss. It would need to be tracked individually for each player and monitored by the GM. Maybe add a tabbed page to the character sheet? There is another device that uses a unit of a substance each time it is used. If it isn't used by the end of the turn it regenerated a unit of the substance. Same mechanic but reversed. They can only have one of either device on their character at a time so only need to track one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by YggBjorn View Post
    I am wondering if an extension could be made that would allow the player to check boxes for heat buildup/loss. It would need to be tracked individually for each player and monitored by the GM. Maybe add a tabbed page to the character sheet?
    I wish I knew the answer - I've looked into adding tracks to the PS object a number of times and didn't get very far. In one of my setting there's a 20 increment Tekku (arcane-tech) track and the same for a Majikku (magic) track; both are crucial to the theme. I dearly wanted to add those to the PS for my campaign, but had to thrown in the towel and just have players track those via notes. There's just so many XMLs and LUA scripts that interact with the PS that without any kind of roadmap, unraveling it is quite a daunting task.

Vehicle is probably bad idea anyway as you would be limited to at best six, then would need to fix Size differences and wound penalties.

Editing the character sheet and items arent too hard. If you want I can see if I can find original HQ extension I made so you would have an example.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Yes please that would help!

Worst case each player has an image and drop a token on their "pile" when heat builds up, remove one as it goes down... or actually notes then the PC can update it.

Neither is ideal, but a short term fix until sheet hacking is down
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I thought about that, especially considering the setting PDFs have printable cards used for that purpose for IRL live play. I wonder about keeping track of which card belongs to which player if one of the players has connection issues and must reconnect. I suppose naming each image with a different number or letter should work, as long as the player remembers that was their card. For the time being I have adapted the device to contain Coolant Units (ammo) that are expended per use. It works, but I do like the concept of Heat Buildup more.

Thread Information