DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgain View Post
    My db.xml is only 8,200kb so I'm at a loss.
    Oh, and for reference, this is probably equivalent to a 800 page campaign book, or more. That's lots of text as it does not include images.

For FG performance, don't think of the size of the db.xml, but more in the number of items you have of each type. You campaign could easily have 1000 story entries, hundred of custom NPCs, items, encounters, maps, etc. Each of those data objects is something FG has to keep track of. And. when it saves it has to save each one of those items into your db.xml file.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ouch! Thanks for the help. I'll start separating my adventures into more manageable chunks.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

For me, it freezes 5 seconds every 5 minutes so it becomes bothersome. I don't do something like separate campaigns, I keep only a workspace because i tinker, i play with things, i automate and I don't want to break the delicate balance of extensions, tables, custom npcs and the like that i currently have. Moreover, breaking everything into parts after 5 years of play it's a helluva of prosaic work to add to the list of already boring and tiresome things to do, like adding LOS to maps.
    So, TLDR, it would be nice to be able to change the autosave setting.
    Last edited by arkanis; January 17th, 2021 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So splitting up your content is about organizing it into "chunks". This is like WotC saying instead of making one 10,000 page book with everything in it, we are going to break it up into books. Each book will cover one topic, and you can load/buy/read each book as you need it. How you break that up depends on your campaign.

For instance, all the information on each city (maps, locations, encounters, treasure) is something you don't need unless you are in that city right? So you can create a module (via a unique development campaign) for just that city. Look at anything else you might have big chunks of. This could be a geographic region, a religion, a time period in campaign history, or part of a plot line. You have probably used groups within your story entries and images right? Perhaps those can be broken into their own campaigns/modules?

Then, to do this (It's a lot of work, but it will make your experience developing better and even allow better re-use) you make a copy of your entire campaign folder (don't change your current campaign, save it as a backup in case you make mistakes).

Let's start by creating a campaign for all your NPCs. Duplicate your entire "Campaign" folder to "Campaign - NPCs". Load the NPC campaign delete out all the stuff except for the stuff related to this one area.

So, you now have a campaign with all your custom NPCs (does not need to include 'commoners' with names like shop keepers, but all your combat variants). You can /export from chat and create a module "My NPCs" that is now all your custom NPCs. Whenever you want to create a new NPC, you open this development campaign, create the NPC, export to the module (keeping the exact same name).

Now you want to break out a player module full of the campaign overview maps, history, religions, player options, etc. Copy your "Campaign" to "Campaign - Players". Open the campaign, delete out everything not player related. /export with 'player' option so they can load it by default and now you have a player facing module.

Third you want to do the module for the starting region "Baba Land". Copy "Campaign" to "Campaign - Baba Land". Load the player module and the NPC module. Delete out anything not related to Baba Land. Replace any links to NPCs or information included in "My NPCs" or in the "Player Module" with links from those modules. Export to a module "Baba Land". (Note, this module now has dependencies to My NPCs and Player Module if you made them, that's ok"

Rinse and repeat until you have your current campaign broken up into manageable chunks. Whenever you need to update one of those chunks, open the development campaign, update the info, re-export your module.

To play or use this campaign, create new "Play" campaign. Open the NPC module and the overview module and the one or two modules you need for where the campaign kicks off. Maybe "The Kings Ransom plot" and "Baba Land" modules. When the players finish solving the King's ransom and leave Baba Land and go to Elf Forest to find the Ancient Grognard, you close Baba Land and King's Ransom modules and open "Ancient Grognard Plot" and "Elf Forest" modules.

As I said, it's not easy to do if you already have lots of info in yoru campaign, but in the long run it makes for a much more enjoyable creation experience and for more easily reusable content. (Say for instance you start a different group or do a one shot and want to re-run the King's Ransom, all you have to do is start a new campaign and load you custom module(s).
    My campaign has started to get huge - takes ages to /export - so I am now splitting it up like this - nice one LordEntrails.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; January 21st, 2021 at 10:41.

Thread Information