5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Auto Campaign Saving settings

Hi all:
    I've been working on a campaign and I'm getting frustrated with FGU saving it every 5 minutes. Is there some way I can change the auto-save settings? It is driving me nuts.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

Both FGC and FGU use a 5 minute auto-save. It's not customizable. Why would you want to turn it off?

JPG

Blog Entries
    If your campaign is so large that the autosave is not only noticeable but bothersome, your campaign is too big. Break it up into multiple development campaigns. Then you can load the individual modules as desired and needed in your play campaign.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And why is it driving you nuts since it happens completely invisibly. There's no indication that it is even happening.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    And why is it driving you nuts since it happens completely invisibly. There's no indication that it is even happening.
    If it takes long enough, it can cause FG to pause while it write to disk. But for me it takes a huge development campaign to be even noticeable. But if someone had old 5400 rpm hard disks it might be more noticeable with smaller campaigns.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm writing a reference manual for a big campaign - so there is loads of stuff. It pauses for about 15-20 seconds each time it saves. I figure it must be all the images and such that it has to save. I'll have to figure out a way around this.
    Ultimate license owner.
    I use FG online as well as at the tabletop. I usually stream my games; Savage Worlds - Sat at 6, Sunday at 2 and 6pm and 5e on Monday at 6:30 pm Pacific time. Look for 7thSim on Twitch!

How big is the db.xml file inside the campaign folder? I'm not sure that images get saved as such - unless you are creating them in FGU itself - but even then it's still just saving information about the image to the db.xml file. Any LoS would get saved in the db.xml as well - and that could be hefty if you are adding LoS to a lot of images. Images which you import just sit in the images folder - I don't think any saving goes on there. The biggest campaign db.xml that I have - for comparison - is about 10Mb which is the one that I used to create Storm King's Thunder and I have never noticed when it is saving - far less 15-20 seconds.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Copy the campaign folder into multiple pieces and then go in and delete out various sets. Effectively break the campaign prep into multiple development modules. Each of which will end up being one module. This allows you to load and unload various aspects of your campaign world. It also allows you to create player facing modules.

Not knowing anything about your campaign, but something like this;
    1) A player facing overview or campaign setting. Might have history, regional maps, deities and other details
    2) A player facing character creation, options and perhaps specialized items
    3) DM modules for each region or city or adventure location (links here would point to the NPC module)
    4) A DM module for custom NPCs.
    5) A DM module for custom items & maybe spells
    6) DM modules for each phase of the story line/campaign

That all is theoretical, but hopefully helps give you some ideas on how to break it up.

My db.xml is only 8,200kb so I'm at a loss. This is the only campaign I have that does this. I've turned off all my extensions/modules and it still loads slow. I'll look into breaking it up as suggested. Not sure I understand how to split my campaign up but I'll give it a try. Or how to merge them together again once completed.
    Last edited by Sgain; September 25th, 2020 at 23:06.
    Ultimate license owner.

Blog Entries
    So splitting up your content is about organizing it into "chunks". This is like WotC saying instead of making one 10,000 page book with everything in it, we are going to break it up into books. Each book will cover one topic, and you can load/buy/read each book as you need it. How you break that up depends on your campaign.

For instance, all the information on each city (maps, locations, encounters, treasure) is something you don't need unless you are in that city right? So you can create a module (via a unique development campaign) for just that city. Look at anything else you might have big chunks of. This could be a geographic region, a religion, a time period in campaign history, or part of a plot line. You have probably used groups within your story entries and images right? Perhaps those can be broken into their own campaigns/modules?

Then, to do this (It's a lot of work, but it will make your experience developing better and even allow better re-use) you make a copy of your entire campaign folder (don't change your current campaign, save it as a backup in case you make mistakes).

Let's start by creating a campaign for all your NPCs. Duplicate your entire "Campaign" folder to "Campaign - NPCs". Load the NPC campaign delete out all the stuff except for the stuff related to this one area.

So, you now have a campaign with all your custom NPCs (does not need to include 'commoners' with names like shop keepers, but all your combat variants). You can /export from chat and create a module "My NPCs" that is now all your custom NPCs. Whenever you want to create a new NPC, you open this development campaign, create the NPC, export to the module (keeping the exact same name).

Now you want to break out a player module full of the campaign overview maps, history, religions, player options, etc. Copy your "Campaign" to "Campaign - Players". Open the campaign, delete out everything not player related. /export with 'player' option so they can load it by default and now you have a player facing module.

Third you want to do the module for the starting region "Baba Land". Copy "Campaign" to "Campaign - Baba Land". Load the player module and the NPC module. Delete out anything not related to Baba Land. Replace any links to NPCs or information included in "My NPCs" or in the "Player Module" with links from those modules. Export to a module "Baba Land". (Note, this module now has dependencies to My NPCs and Player Module if you made them, that's ok"

Rinse and repeat until you have your current campaign broken up into manageable chunks. Whenever you need to update one of those chunks, open the development campaign, update the info, re-export your module.

To play or use this campaign, create new "Play" campaign. Open the NPC module and the overview module and the one or two modules you need for where the campaign kicks off. Maybe "The Kings Ransom plot" and "Baba Land" modules. When the players finish solving the King's ransom and leave Baba Land and go to Elf Forest to find the Ancient Grognard, you close Baba Land and King's Ransom modules and open "Ancient Grognard Plot" and "Elf Forest" modules.

As I said, it's not easy to do if you already have lots of info in yoru campaign, but in the long run it makes for a much more enjoyable creation experience and for more easily reusable content. (Say for instance you start a different group or do a one shot and want to re-run the King's Ransom, all you have to do is start a new campaign and load you custom module(s).

Thread Information