DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Discord, Zoom, or something else? - What do you use with Fantasy Grounds to play?

Hey everyone

I'm just curious, after dm-ing online this weekend at d&d celebration and using video for 9 slots of games over discord- I noticed that beyond being bandwidth heavy, discord was kinda resource heavy (find on my desktop but my laptop definitely struggled).

I used Fantasy Grounds Unity this weekend and wanted a video solution that allowed me to "pin" everyone's faces above my FG so went with discord and now am wondering if there's other solutions I overlooked (thinking of zoom...but maybe other options I'm not aware of?)

I'm curious what video options people use with Fantasy Grounds/their preferences/advice.
    Fantasy Grounds D&D Adventurers League Consultant
    Organizer, DungeonMaster , and TTRPG Gamer

We don't use video, but alternative to Discord and Zoom is to use Roll20 for Video just because by default they are arranged horizontally in neat way. FG is on top of the browsers.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    I hear Google Duo is good for low bandwidth video calls. But no idea how it works for groups and haven't used it myself.

I use Discord when I do video, which is not often.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Discord. For sure most things that use video and sharing screens etc. can be heavy on a small laptop but its got all the bells and whistles I want and all my players have decent computers so its ideal for us.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

We use Discord for audio and VSee for video (just because they are being streamed to Twitch). VSee allows you to set each persons camera as its own source, so works better for streaming.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

I use Discord for audio, I don't use video because I prefer to keep attention on the table.

I find I prefer video, for the exact same reason. Its so easy to get distracted with just audio, people looking at phones or browsing internet. But on camera, you can see everyone, and react to funny things. I just prefer the visual interaction during the game.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    I find I prefer video, for the exact same reason. Its so easy to get distracted with just audio, people looking at phones or browsing internet. But on camera, you can see everyone, and react to funny things. I just prefer the visual interaction during the game.
    I sometimes think it would be functional for role-playing and such, but the other problem I have is screen space, I seriously need a bigger monitor.

Or two! I definitely need second one, but even on 160cm desk I have two big speakers, NAS and laptop stand, so not really easy to have it placed conveniently and not to look cluttered.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

I use 3, a large 34" central one and 2 22" side monitors. Its worked perfectly for me.

Thread Information