5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Negate Value needs to be reworked if possible

Ok so as a new person to dming in fantasy grounds i think a good rework of negate value should if possible be able to do negate value by right clicking and adding the negative automatically back to an npc/players hp/ subtracting from wounds. its not intuitive to drag the - number back to the npc/ player its also a little bit tedius when you have like 20 different entries on the combat tracker and having to find the right one whilst keeping the flow of the game going. so would it be possible to link the two?

Unfortunately, this isn't something that is even possible with the existing system. The chat window provides a simple mechanism to negate, halve or double a "value". There are no custom menu options or overrides possible without a fairly big rewrite of the chat windows. The chat window has no knowledge of "actions", "rolls" or other concepts that are encoded in each ruleset.

I saw that you already added to the wish list.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ThingsCouldGetDicey View Post
    Ok so as a new person to dming in fantasy grounds i think a good rework of negate value should if possible be able to do negate value by right clicking and adding the negative automatically back to an npc/players hp/ subtracting from wounds. its not intuitive to drag the - number back to the npc/ player its also a little bit tedius when you have like 20 different entries on the combat tracker and having to find the right one whilst keeping the flow of the game going. so would it be possible to link the two?
    What use case is this for? If it is for combat purposes most of the time (in most systems) dragging the roll to the combat tracker target or to the token will automate the roll against that target, many systems also have targeting as an option where you can control click a target in the combat tracker or combat map and rolls from the character sheet will be made against the target.

Outside of that I find that if I need to roll something into chat and then have it subtract from a field I will just do the mental arithmetic rather than dragging (unless I am really tired)

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    What use case is this for? If it is for combat purposes most of the time (in most systems) dragging the roll to the combat tracker target or to the token will automate the roll against that target, many systems also have targeting as an option where you can control click a target in the combat tracker or combat map and rolls from the character sheet will be made against the target.

Outside of that I find that if I need to roll something into chat and then have it subtract from a field I will just do the mental arithmetic rather than dragging (unless I am really tired)
    the use of it is if a player accidentally clicks damage when they have damaged a creature without doing the attack. one would assume negate value..... negates value. but the way it works currently is that it just shows in chat as minus that number for you to drag onto the target that was mistakenly damaged. as i said before when you have 20 targets and you want to find the correct one to drag that value back more mistakes could be made when you are in a rush. this slows down gameplay. i currently do manual math but the point of negate value should be to negate value. its functionally useless for me.

the use of it is if a player accidentally clicks damage when they have damaged a creature without doing the attack. one would assume negate value..... negates value. but the way it works currently is that it just shows in chat as minus that number for you to drag onto the target that was mistakenly damaged. as i said before when you have 20 targets and you want to find the correct one to drag that value back more mistakes could be made when you are in a rush. this slows down gameplay. i currently do manual math but the point of negate value should be to negate value. its functionally useless for me.
    If someone does that frequently enough to be a problem I have other questions.

As for finding the target, the chat log should state its name so that shouldn't be difficult. But linking chat results to the entities could get a bit messy, especially as the chat log gets bigger. You would need to either limit it to the latest roll or few rolls imo, a lot of effort for a very niche scenario imo.

Goodluck though.

Once you have negated the value in chat, you can drag it to the player/NPC's token rather than trying to find them in the combat tracker. I find this much quicker.

Thread Information