DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Languages

Languages

Is there support for languages? I know that there is an ability to add languages as an option, but I cannot see to figure out how to enable characters to understand those languages. Every time I try sending a message in Common, it says [understood by: ]. Of course, this is in a test environment. Do I need players to be logged into a session?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFabulousIronChef View Post
    Is there support for languages? I know that there is an ability to add languages as an option, but I cannot see to figure out how to enable characters to understand those languages. Every time I try sending a message in Common, it says [understood by: ]. Of course, this is in a test environment. Do I need players to be logged into a session?
    Hi. You can add languages in options.

Additionally, understood by lists online player characters who have the language (spelled and cased exactly as you have the languages in options).

Understood by only shows names for players who are logged in, if testing these items its best to run a second instance of FG connecting to local host (normally 127.0.0.1) and if you use a test PC with the language added correctly to the relevant Gurps character tab then it should show up as a dropdown for the PC in the chat language selection dropdown. and when you message it will show the PC as understanding or not understanding as may be the case of what language you test with
    Last edited by Marquis_de_Taigeis; September 20th, 2020 at 19:59. Reason: originally posted as if 5e sheet instead of gurps

Got it, testing it with another computer right now; it works. Thanks.

Also, I cannot seem to run a second instance of FG on a Mac...or I just don't know how.

I can't seem to get the language ext to work for me (although I could add them to the language in the options if and when I ever get to it). I'm still working on the free Unity version, so maybe that has something to do with it? Once I get a little more content to play around with I'll get a 3 month sub until Steam has it on sale so I can buy it outright (assuming I can get some of my old group back ).

I can't seem to get the language ext to appear on my list; but at least now I know how to add them manually.
    Last edited by Fezzik Buttercup; September 24th, 2020 at 16:21.
    Anybody want a peanut!

If you are using an existing language ext, check the XML to make sure GURPS is listed as a valid ruleset for it. If it isn't, add it.
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

I'm using the one listed on the sticky page that has the gurps core and other bits on it.
    Anybody want a peanut!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezzik Buttercup View Post
    I'm using the one listed on the sticky page that has the gurps core and other bits on it.
    This one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The Language Extension is found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-(FG-v3-1-3-) It explains (in post #2) how to add your own languages (and available language fonts) into an extension.

damned is correct - this extension doesn't have the GURPs ruleset tag - you can add this into the extension pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Regarding language extensions - the information in the extension (language name and font mapping) is only read when the campaign is first created. So you have to remember to include the extension when you first create the campaign. If you add the extension after the campaign has been created, then you won't see the language names added to the language list, but you will have the new fonts available so you can manually create what you need).

A work around, is mentioned in the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-(FG-v3-1-3-)
    It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.

The one I have is called GURPS_4E_Languages.ext. I looked at the core, but I don't see it there, so I guess I was mistaken. I'm not sure where I got it from but it was on the forums somewhere . I'll take a peek at that one; thanks Gingermann.

The one that I have been trying was "Speak in different fonts. Ported to GURPS by saithan..." (based on original by Tenian)

Also, are there supposed to be 'base' languages in the basic FGU chatbox GUI? If there are, then I'm having completely different issues
    Last edited by Fezzik Buttercup; September 25th, 2020 at 16:36.
    Anybody want a peanut!

Thread Information