DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Aces in tower

Aces in tower

Is there any way to prevent players from seeing the animation of dice re-rolling when they are rolled in the tower?

The dice rolling is hard-coded into the physics simulation that resolves dice rolls. The only way to bypass would be to write an extension that intercepts the rolls and use random number generation instead.

Regards,
    JPG

Why would you want to hide that?

Savage Worlds uses the Ace die mechanic, when a GM rolls a die behind the screen and it aces he is going to have to roll again, therefore the tower shows that, it is no different than at the table top

Personally my players love it when they see the shadowy dice acing, they know the dice have exploded, but they do not know the final score, the tension is increased as is their joy when their dice ace and they succeed or accept defeat when they fail
    Last edited by Doswelk; September 18th, 2020 at 22:29.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

"Why would you want to hide that?"

Because it gives them information if the roll was good or not. That's information they use to decide on spending bennies. I don't use the tower on a ton of rolls, but if I'm using it, it is because I don't want them to know how good the roll was.

But like I said in a face-to-face game they would know, as it is physically impossible for a gm to hide the acing of a roll, without not making the second roll, and just deciding what the final score is, so this is no different.

The functionality cannot be changed in FG due to how the dice rolling works, all I can suggest is you roll physical dice if you do not want the tower to show the acing, but turn off your mic or people may hear you pick up the die and roll it again
    Last edited by Doswelk; September 19th, 2020 at 09:32.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

I would suggest just doing what i do, roll dice for no reason. I do my best to make it a practice to randomly roll dice, no purpose other than to roll and make players wonder. I will do that same thing by having them roll a Notice roll for no reason at times as well.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

I can just grab any of the physical dice on my desk and roll them. I don't see why people are so concerned that I would look for a way for the tool I'm using to make sunning the game smoother to actually make things run smoother. I mean, I'm not furious that there is no way, it's just strange that FG was designed this way. It's not like it's the only place FG does something I find strange.

At the end of the day, FG is a VTT. By definition it is trying to allow you to have a virtual tabletop game session. What I think is strange is that you are asking for functionality that goes beyond that. As Doswelk has so aptly put, you want functionality that you could never have in an actual face-to-face game. While you might think it would make your games more interesting, it really goes beyond the mission statement of being able to recreate that face-to-face experience online.

I can do that easily in a face to face game. Roll 3-4 dice of different colors for the hidden skill roll. Read them in roy-g-biv order starting with the most red die and moving to the next if I get an ace. You're not going to hit 100 or anything, but it covers normal play.

But, that is just me being difficult/argumentative. I wouldn't actually do that in play; although, I could. In reality, if you're just looking for a 4, all dice can hit that without acing and all but the d4 can hit a 5 or 6. So, for the most common die rolls, seeing the ace tells you with 100% certainty that you succeeded. In a face to face game, I'd just not re-roll those dice, since I know they hit the target I was rolling against after the first roll. They would not get a chance to see the re-roll, because it wouldn't happen. Do you normally keep rolling past the point where you need to just to see how high it goes? Technically those are the rules, but I don't think it actually matches a face-to-face experience.

Yes I do roll to see how many raises NPCs get, but I have built up a framework for expanded raises for myself and the players that if multiple raises occur what can be done with them.

As far as hiding, that's your choice but honestly as a player I dislike it and as a GM I at worst use the tower.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thread Information