FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    Nm...I see someone (I assume you) has asked the question there. I have never read a rule that said you get points from a Hindrance gained by Injury so I (and my players) have played like mac40k
    It just doesn't make narrative sense that a character receives a grievous injury to the head resulting in a Hideous Scar (game effects= Ugly Hindrance), but somehow also just became better at Electronics and Repair as a result. Also, unless they fail the Incapacitation roll, the injury will eventually go away, so presumably the associated gains would magically vanish as well, which makes them even harder to rationalize.

Quote Originally Posted by mac40k View Post
    It just doesn't make narrative sense that a character receives a grievous injury to the head resulting in a Hideous Scar (game effects= Ugly Hindrance), but somehow also just became better at Electronics and Repair as a result.
    As a reaction to becoming scarred, the character becomes more withdrawn, allowing more time to devote to his pursuit of Electronics and Repair.

Seems easy enough. If that doesn't work for you, then what is your justification that a player selecting Hideous Scar as a starting Hindrance would have bonus points to spend on Electronics and Repair? Point building characters already has weird associations built into it.

Sure...but that would take time. That's why it makes sense during character creation as up until the game starts he or she have lived with that Hindrance.

I understand the point and if there was sufficient downtime I could be swayed by that argument from a player. I just don't think that was the intent of the rules...especially with the ways available to overcome them depending on the setting

PEG as a general practice tends to write the rules to explain what you can or should do, not what you can't. The rules only reference getting points for taking Hindrances during chargen (up to a max of 4 points regardless of the number of Hindrances taken). The Hindrances themselves don't grant those points, the process of chargen does. The Injury table contains results that (most often) temporarily assigns Hindrances as a consequence. Just because it doesn't explicitly state that you do not get points from these Hindrances that can be spent in the same way as Hindrances taken as part of chargen in no way implies that therefore they do convey those points. PEG just doesn't write rules that way. If they intended for you to get some type of reward to offset the Injury result, they would have stated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Thank you, it helps: per rules as written you may remove Hindrances spending Advancements without any limitation/condition/specification, therefore also Hindrances caused by Injuries!

Unfortunately it looks like no rule could anwer my initial question:
    The rules make it very clear on page 9, as YggBorn already quoted, that you can only ever gain a maximum of 4 points from hindrances - the 4 point limit doesn't just apply to PC creation. I've seen this question posted a number of time at the Peginc.com forums over the past decade and the answer has always been the same; a PC doesn't get additional advancement points for hindrances taken after creation. The rules are finely tuned around the number of points PCs get as they advance through the ranks, so allowing players loopholes to gain more risks ending up with highly unbalanced PCs by Heroic rank, and even worse by Legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by YggBjorn View Post
    ...Personally I would rule if the player didn't take up to a total of 4 Hindrance points during character creation, and in the course of play was injured and gained a Hindrance, they could then have additional Hindrance points not to exceed the 4 total allowed and use them alongside the benefits given during the next Advancement.
    While I'll agree that's a terrific idea and one I've personally houseruled it into some of my campaigns, it is none the less a houserule.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    While I'll agree that's a terrific idea and one I've personally houseruled it into some of my campaigns, it is none the less a houserule.
    I agree. I intended it as a houserule however I probably wasn't clear enough. From experience though, my players take all 4 Hindrance points at character creation so I haven't had to use the previously mentioned houserule. Thanks for the compliment on it being a terrific rule! Great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by YggBjorn View Post
    I agree. I intended it as a houserule however I probably wasn't clear enough.
    NP I figured as much. I just commented more for clarity, as one of the SWADE rules has appeared to be put under a magnifying glass in this thread - with a glass that isn't particularly clear or non-tinted.

From experience though, my players take all 4 Hindrance points at character creation so I haven't had to use the previously mentioned houserule.
    Yep, almost always the case in my campaigns saw well. I highly encourage my players to take at least 4 points of Hindrance, but that's mostly because I GM around them a bit like FATE Aspects. In that if a player roleplays to them they earn bennies as per the rules, and if the Adventure deck is in use and it's a major enough of a hindrance, they can draw a card. I also at times use major hindrances as hooks that PC-centric adventures are written around.

I'm very pleased that Pinnacle Ent. decided to expand the number of hindrances with SWADE and that many that they added are top quality.

For those still curious, question asked and answered on the official PEG forums. https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...ered-as-injury

Hindrances gained in play do not provide points.

Very good! That settles that then. I think I will adjust my thoughts on the matter to follow along with the official answer. I try to keep with RAW and Official errata as much as possible, for every rpg, boardgame, ccg, etc., that I play.

Thread Information