FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

SWADE Rule Question: Hindrance suffered as Injury

Hi,
    when a Wild Card gains a Hindrance as a result of the Injury Table, that Hindrance gives to the Wild Card points to spend to raise an attribute, gain one Edge, etc - like when a Hindrance is taken in the Character Creation phase (as for rules stated in the paragraph "Hindrances", at p. 9 of SWADE Rulebook)?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Galdor; September 18th, 2020 at 13:16.

No, you only get points for Hindrances during character creation. In fact, the prior edition (SWD) noted that you could take more Hindrances during chargen if you thought they helped define your character concept, but you still only received 4 points regardless. In practice, I never saw anyone do this and that verbiage was removed from SWADE. Hindrances received during play like losing a limb or an eye are just things the character has to deal with. Note that if the player does a good job of playing up these Hindrances, the GM can always award them bennies to help mitigate the impact of them (see SWADE pg. 22).

Quote Originally Posted by mac40k View Post
    No, you only get points for Hindrances during character creation. In fact, the prior edition (SWD) noted that you could take more Hindrances during chargen if you thought they helped define your character concept, but you still only received 4 points regardless. In practice, I never saw anyone do this and that verbiage was removed from SWADE. Hindrances received during play like losing a limb or an eye are just things the character has to deal with. Note that if the player does a good job of playing up these Hindrances, the GM can always award them bennies to help mitigate the impact of them (see SWADE pg. 22).
    Thank you mac40k. I guess yours is a personal interpretation of the rules, or is there anywhere an official source for what you wrote?

Additional question: could a character spend 1 advance to remove a major Hindrance (even one suffered as Injury)?

Theoretically you could remove a hindrance, for some. Like getting a Guts injury that lowers an attribute just lowers that attribute, it doesn't grant you a "-1 trait hindrance", so you can increase that trait, but it's still limited by the number of increases per rank. Likewise, you can buy off a gained hindrance if you would be allowed to buy off the same hindrance if it were purchased from the start. Generally, you would need some in setting reason for doing so.

Now, it is also reasonable that you might hate any of these answers and wish to give characters crippled in this way some kind of compensation. I'm guessing that is a very, very common house rule. I'd probably grant it after waiting some period of time - "you have learned to compensate for your <insert disability here>, your ability to <insert other thing here> has sharpened".

But then, i don't track XP/advances separately for different characters in a campaign, so what do I know.

No, no points generally Speaking because the Healing power has a Mod @ 20 PP to remove crippling injuries.

House rules are of course your choice.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Thank you mac40k. I guess yours is a personal interpretation of the rules, or is there anywhere an official source for what you wrote?

Additional question: could a character spend 1 advance to remove a major Hindrance (even one suffered as Injury)?
    From the SWADE book, page 9:
    Hindrances are flaws, drawbacks, or dark secrets drawn from a character’s backstory.
    You can take up to 4 points of Hindrances. A Major Hindrance is worth 2 points, and a Minor is worth 1. A hero could thus take two Major Hindrances, four Minor, or any combination that adds up to 4 points. (You can take more Hindrances if you want but the maximum benefit is 4 points!)
    I believe the stipulation about maximum number of points holds no matter how the hindrance was gained. Personally I would rule if the player didn't take up to a total of 4 Hindrance points during character creation, and in the course of play was injured and gained a Hindrance, they could then have additional Hindrance points not to exceed the 4 total allowed and use them alongside the benefits given during the next Advancement.

To answer your second question, from the SWADE book, page 54:
    An Advance lets a character do one of the following. Remember that no Trait may be raised above its racial maximum (usually d12).
    • Gain a new Edge.
    • Increase a skill that is equal to or greater than its linked attribute one die type.
    • Increase two skills that are lower than their linked attributes by one die type each (including new skills the character didn’t have before at d4).
    • Increase one attribute by a die type. This option may only be taken once per Rank (see Rank, below). Legendary characters may raise an attribute every other Advance, up to the racial maximum.
    • Permanently remove a Minor Hindrance, or reduce a Major Hindrance to a Minor (if possible). With the GM’s permission, and if it makes sense, two Advances may be saved up and spent to remove a Major Hindrance. The player and GM should work out how and when this happens. Perhaps the shocking death of an ally triggers a change in attitude, the hero puts real effort into improving harmful behavior, or might even seek professional help during downtime between missions.
    Per Rules As Written (RAW) it would take two Advancements to remove a Major Hindrance.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by YggBjorn View Post
    To answer your second question, from the SWADE book, page 54:

Per Rules As Written (RAW) it would take two Advancements to remove a Major Hindrance.

I hope that helps.
    Thank you, it helps: per rules as written you may remove Hindrances spending Advancements without any limitation/condition/specification, therefore also Hindrances caused by Injuries!

Unfortunately it looks like no rule could anwer my initial question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor
    when a Wild Card gains a Hindrance as a result of the Injury Table, that Hindrance gives to the Wild Card points to spend to raise an attribute, gain one Edge, etc - like when a Hindrance is taken in the Character Creation phase (as for rules stated in the paragraph "Hindrances", at p. 9 of SWADE Rulebook)?
    Last edited by Galdor; September 19th, 2020 at 01:20.

The only time the rules talk about getting points from Hindrances is in the Character Creation section. It seems logical to me that if an injury gives you a Hindrance no points because it's not character creation.

If you need an official answer you really should ask this question on the PEG forums as this is a Fantasy Grounds forum populated by people using FG to play Savage Worlds whereas the PEG forums actually have people who are official SW rule providers.

Nm...I see someone (I assume you) has asked the question there. I have never read a rule that said you get points from a Hindrance gained by Injury so I (and my players) have played like mac40k

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Thank you, it helps: per rules as written you may remove Hindrances spending Advancements without any limitation/condition/specification, therefore also Hindrances caused by Injuries!

Unfortunately it looks like no rule could anwer my initial question:
    I am confused, the official answer is no as several of us have posted. PEG is good about being straightforward with their writing and at no pointing when talking about gaining permanent injuries do they mention about gaining more points.

That being said, like others have stated if you want to house rule that it is okay. I have given players edges and hindrances as rewards, just recently gave a player the Enemy hindrance. He was playing his character and badly meshed with an NPC. So boom, that guy hates him now. Another is on verge of getting Connections
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thread Information