Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Lighting in a dungeon, torches?

All,

I am creating a dungeon where the are some spaces where there would be light. I have a map I created Dungeon Painter Studio and wanted to have a room that was lighted/revealed; is that possible?

Also when a character can't see in the dark, how do they use a torch?

I know you have to build some things FGU.

Thanks in advance!
    Tiberius777

There is no vision and lighting options in FGU yet; though it is high on our list for once we get to final release (after Early Release completes).

FGU does support line of sight from tokens which can be turned on in the image record data control (via unlock button); and walls/doors/terrain need to be defined on the map for the line of sight to be blocked appropriately. Many of the most popular products in the store include the wall information already.

Regards,
    JPG

If Dungeon Painter Studio can support it, you may be able to add an effect on the map itself showing the lighted area. DungeonDraft has this ability where you can put a light effect around the object and allow for it to be saved with the map. This is a static effect, so it isn't going to be dynamic like the LoS features in FGU currently, but it lets you get a visual area on your map that once your players can see the area, they can logically make assumptions of how far the light is showing (with some dim light outside the main light range).

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTBC View Post
    If Dungeon Painter Studio can support it, you may be able to add an effect on the map itself showing the lighted area. DungeonDraft has this ability where you can put a light effect around the object and allow for it to be saved with the map. This is a static effect, so it isn't going to be dynamic like the LoS features in FGU currently, but it lets you get a visual area on your map that once your players can see the area, they can logically make assumptions of how far the light is showing (with some dim light outside the main light range).
    Thank you! As far as I know, I can just create textures, etc. to dwaw the map. I have seen some interesting work with layers and photoshop online to create localized water effects. Pretty cool! But I don't have any experience Photoshop.

Thank you for all responses!

P.S. I was thinking about using the mask tool in conjunction with LoS but I'm not sure they play well together - like you have to use one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius777 View Post
    Thank you! As far as I know, I can just create textures, etc. to dwaw the map. I have seen some interesting work with layers and photoshop online to create localized water effects. Pretty cool! But I don't have any experience Photoshop.

Thank you for all responses!

P.S. I was thinking about using the mask tool in conjunction with LoS but I'm not sure they play well together - like you have to use one or the other.
    No you can use both. See Video Two in this series https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    No you can use both. See Video Two in this series https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112
    Awesome, I'll check it out! thank you

I was wondering if there had been an update in the lighting coming out of beta. I have seen a couple of videos and it looks ready to start playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishypeanuts View Post
    I was wondering if there had been an update in the lighting coming out of beta. I have seen a couple of videos and it looks ready to start playing with.
    Check out some other threads as there is a way you can play with the lighting in test mode only right now. It is advise NOT to run any campaign or games on test mode.

Quote Originally Posted by The Decepticon View Post
    Check out some other threads as there is a way you can play with the lighting in test mode only right now. It is advise NOT to run any campaign or games on test mode.
    Thank you. I will take a look at other threads and see if I can figure out how to run in test mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishypeanuts View Post
    Thank you. I will take a look at other threads and see if I can figure out how to run in test mode.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...a-Release-v4-1

Instructions are in this post if you want to check it out.

Thread Information