DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Need some help getting started on creating a custom NPC/Monster

Greetings FG folks. I am creating some new monsters within Pathfinder 2E. I am using Unity. I need help on adding new abilities, and immunities to an NPC templet.

Lets take a monster called the Coffer corpse. I was going to use either a draugr or a zombie as starter templet but i can start from scratch if needed. This creature should be lvl 2 or lvl 3.

Here are some old school abilities I want to kinda use or add if possible >

The coffer corpse resembles a zombie but is turned as
    a 7 hit die creature on the clerical turn undead table.
    Like all undead, the coffer corpse in unaffected by mind
    influencing spells.
    After sustaining 4 hit points of damage or more the coffer
    corpse collapses, and appears defeated. However,
    normal weapons do no damage to a coffer corpse and
    one round after collapsing the undead creature will rise
    and continue to attack. All those who watch the coffer
    corpse rise must save (Spells) or flee in panic as per the
    fourth level magic-user spell Fear. There is a 50% chance
    fleeing PCs will drop whatever they are carrying.
    If the coffer corpse makes a successful attack it has wrapped
    its hands around the neck of its victim. Each successive
    round it automatically strangles for an additional 1d6
    damage. The grasp of a coffer corpse cannot be broken.

So lets keep it simple I want to add a fear affect to this creature. How would I add it to a templet? I just need to be shown what the language structure is so i can get an idea of what to do.I want the creature to add fear to its attacks or as an ability. Can this be done and how would I write it? I have automation turned on for NPCs in Unity, would I write the automation there and if so how? Would adding spells be easier? (using Shades drag n drop here).

Suppose I wanted to add a disease or debilitating effect on 50% of the strikes it makes with its fists?

For this creatures resistance can I add in a resist positive 5 in the immunities section?

Thank you for pointing me on where to get started.

For details on setting up NPC ability automation see the information and links here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post525174

For examples see the Google doc (linked above) and also any creature in the official Bestiary 1 (up to level 6 at this point). You're best source for any example NPC statblocks is the Bestiary.

For something like a fear attack (will save then application of an appropriate Frightened condition) see the Gorilla in Bestiary 1 as an example.

There's nothing that does anything 50% of the time. Although you could use the Cooldown ability automation to indicate it's been used and set it to once a round (Cooldown: 1) or once every two rounds (Cooldown: 2), but this is just a manual indicator that the ability has been used.

For examples of how to use resistance in a NPC look at any creature with resistances - FG parses the data in the "Resistances" field to create effects when the creature is added to the Combat Tracker. Immunities is a different field, that's used for Immunities not Resistances. See page 5 of the Paizo Bestiary PDF for information on the various fields used in a statblock.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

This is helpful, Thank you Trenloe.

Trenloe, back when my group was doing HK hill one of the encounters had an monster that was resistant to physical weapons but not magical ones. On paper this works but in FG the players consistently did zero dmg with magic weapons. Was this fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Trenloe, back when my group was doing HK hill one of the encounters had an monster that was resistant to physical weapons but not magical ones. On paper this works but in FG the players consistently did zero dmg with magic weapons. Was this fixed?
    That's very vague. You're going to have to provide more info, otherwise I'll just be guessing. What creature was it? Was the specific issue reported? Links, etc..
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 12th, 2020 at 14:56.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The creature was the barghest. The party all had magical weapons +1 and when they did dmg the effect was zero. The greater barghest had resistant physical 10 (except magical). So magic weapons should bypass this resistance but it was not working. I was curious if it was working now.

I want to add an automation but cant seen to figure out what the syntax is. The Zombie hits its victim and makes a succesful strike and automatically grabs its victim. On the next round the zombie will do automatic damage from 1d6.

I want to add an automation but cant seen to figure out what the syntax is. The Zombie hits its victim and makes a succesful strike and automatically grabs its victim. On the next round the zombie will do automatic damage from 1d6 would this be persistant dmg to keep things simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    The creature was the barghest. The party all had magical weapons +1 and when they did dmg the effect was zero. The greater barghest had resistant physical 10 (except magical). So magic weapons should bypass this resistance but it was not working. I was curious if it was working now.
    So have you checked what it does now by dragging a barghest to the combat tracker and seeing what effects it adds for RESIST?

Also, make sure that your players have magic listed in the damage type... so a +1 longsword might look like:
    1d8+x slashing, magic

When the Barghest hits the CT, it should have an effect that looks like:
    RESIST: 5 fire; RESIST: 5 physical, !magic
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Thread Information