5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

TTRPGs - With or Without Reality?

When designing Suzerain we try to make sure that players have a true feeling of hope and that they can each make a difference. Obviously with 2020 going the way it has/is, I’ve been wondering - Do you play TTRPGs to escape reality or to address issues within it? Or both?

With our upcoming Kickstarter for our new book (more info here) and just being TTRPG fans, this is a big thing for us to understand. After all, how can you design something for players if you never ask them what they want!

Wolfhaven_And_Howard.png

(Picture is Baron Wolfhaven left and his player Howard right, as part of the Legends Awaken initiative!)
    -Ciaran

Infomancer_Ciaran, Savage Mojo
    C-Moon#4331 at Discord

Kickstarter coming October 4th 2020!
    Join our mailing list and get a FREE
    Shane Hensley adventure

Blog Entries
    I've always played RPGs to escape reality. Though one may explore real life issues, imo, RPGs are a very poor tool to actually address any social issues.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

My personal preference is to escape reality but use IRLs issue to help give a realistic texture to my campaign. I don't want to get too on the nose or it will come across as trying to infuse my game with political issues and ultimately just be preachy or pandering.

Funny you would ask this question now. I just started to re-watch an old Sci-Fi favorate show of mine: Babylon 5. I am amused and amazed at how well this nearly 30-year old show captures contemporary issues so well.

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    Funny you would ask this question now. I just started to re-watch an old Sci-Fi favorate show of mine: Babylon 5. I am amused and amazed at how well this nearly 30-year old show captures contemporary issues so well.
    Completely agreed, to me, most things that J Michael Straczynsky's done (Rising Stars is my favorite comic book) are a perfect example of how to both include, but not pander to, social/political comment.

The question about playing to escape reality is an interesting one, one of my groups does just that - and so I wouldn't attempt to have them play a cyberpunk drama filled to the brim with references to the problems of today and the future. They're all well read and simply don't want that kind of stuff invading what is a relaxing time. I've also played with groups that are the opposite, seemingly going out of their way to bring in the real-world to their games.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Thread Information