FG Spreadshirt Swag

Fantasy Grounds very playable on Mac with port-forwarding!

Hi,

We had an excellent DnD session today, I was also able to take out the culprits that were plaguing my last game.
    I thoroughly deactivated unnecessary extension, it greatly increased playability!

Just a tip for other DMs that use a mac, go bare minimum on extension and mods and port-forward if you can for the best experience!

Keep up the good work !

What did you do to make it playable? Did you just remove certain extension? What extensions do you have turned on? What are the specs for your Mac?

I gave running FGU a try by copying over my campaign of Out of the Abyss with 3 people connected who were running Windows 10. I had the Sloopdobup map open and probably 25 - 30 tokens on the map and in the combat tracker. I did have a lot of extensions running, but initially it wasn’t slow at all. The players were able to login, grab their characters, load all the modules I was sharing and see the map. I asked them about the speed and they noted that t was much faster the FGC.

Then as time went on the game started to slow down and the fan kicked in and I’ve never heard it so loud before. We played for a total of 3 hours, but I would say the last hour was unbearable. I noticed that there was a few second delay when targeting on the map or combat tracker and my players noticed the same. Also token movement was slow. Then my rolls took forever in the combat tracker. I would click on an attack or damage roll and I would have to do this 4-6 times before it would finally register. I didn’t get the logs for my machine or the players.

I might give it just one more try if I can figure some was to have it run smoother and if not wait until maybe long after the official release and more optimization.

My setup:
    late 2013 iMac 21.5 inch
    3.1GHz core i7
    16GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB
    MacOS 10.14.6

The version Of FGU 9-3
    Connecting over LAN
    Out of the abyss campaign from FGC

Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown View Post

My setup:
    late 2013 iMac 21.5 inch
    3.1GHz core i7
    16GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB
    MacOS 10.14.6
    I thought the minimum graphics ram was 2GB.

It is, but I know that Carl has mention using a Mac mini that has less specs then mine and it was running decent. I know others with better specs than mine for Macs were running into similar problems. It is a mystery that the Devs are still trying to figure out.

Hi, yes indeed I have heard of that issue, before with the CPU slowly creeping up and then going through the roof.
    Maybe you could half-way in the game..quit FGs restart it, also gives time to give everyone a little break in between.

Here is a list of all my extension mind you the list is extensive, but used to be much larger then it is now. Not all extension have a big impact on CPU, I think, though a general rule of thumb, to use would still be less extension less lag, less impact on CPU and thus better performance.

But at the moment with this load I'm getting good game-play, might decrease the amount of extension in the future though, there are still a few we don't really use during gameplay.

Extensions Loaded:
    Portals Revamped
    Critically Awesome Essential One Click Druid
    5e Advanced effects
    5e Advantage display
    5e Automatic Flanking
    5e Automatic Halfling Luck
    5e Automatic Save Advantage
    5e Coin Converter
    5E Constitutional Amendments
    Generic Actions FGU
    Matjam's Status Indicator
    Miss Flavor Text
    Polymorphism FGU
    Theogeek's Improved Critical
    5e Enhancer height
    5e Enhancer Skip Actor
    5e Effect Removal
    Alternative Wound Colors
    Core Sidebar 5e
    CoreRPG Dice Color Changer
    Dice Total Large
    Feature Express yourself
    Feature Unshare Image
    Font Montserrat FGU
    Mad Nomad's Character Sheet Tweaks
    Mad Nomad's Coin Manager
    Mad Nomad's Filterable Inventory
    Mad Nomad's Party Combat Stats
    Message of the Day
    NPC Random Treasure Drops
    Player Agency
    Replace GM token
    Shops
    Syrinscape Sounds
    Use Up Powers

Mac Specs
    Version 10.15.6 macOS Cataline
    MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
    Processor Name: 1.1 ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4
    Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; September 8th, 2020 at 13:13.

Thanks for all the details. I actually have a lot of those extensions and comparing your specs to mine, your computer is more powerful. I am thinking I might need to wait until some time in the future when I have a new computer to run FGU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbrown View Post
    Thanks for all the details. I actually have a lot of those extensions and comparing your specs to mine, your computer is more powerful. I am thinking I might need to wait until some time in the future when I have a new computer to run FGU.
    Or don't use extensions, or limit the number of modules you load, or the number of entries on the CT. It all depends on where your issues are arising from and what you are willing to do without.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Or don't use extensions, or limit the number of modules you load, or the number of entries on the CT. It all depends on where your issues are arising from and what you are willing to do without.
    I run FGU to GM Pathfinder 2E on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with extensions and it does just fine. Maybe a slight bump up in computer power is needed for FGU? Just thinking out loud as I read through this thread.
    Last edited by joelevan; September 9th, 2020 at 03:59.

I currently use a MacBook Air 2020 with maxed specs. It is very playable but the main concern remains the high CPU. Let's face it. FGU is a great piece of software, but nevertheless not rocket science. When no one is doing anything in game, the CPU consumption should be nearly 0%.

Thread Information