DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Using Google Earth Pro to make maps for Dawn of the Daikaiju

After tinkering with Google Earth Pro I have found a way to make maps for use with Dawn of the Daikaiju in a VTT. It is a repeatable process.

1. Find the area you want
    2. In the upper left of the Google Earth Pro Window click 'File','Save','Save Image'
    3. Underneath the Icon Bar a few dialog boxes appear. Click 'Map Options' and make sure 'Scale' has a check mark next to it. You should see a length scale in the lower right of the Google Earth Pro window.
    4. Click Resolution and set to maximum (4800x3600)
    5. Using the mouse wheel to control zoom level, scroll back a couple of times (YMMV)
    6. Use the Ruler to measure the length scale in the lower right that you can barely see. It is tiny on my 1920x1080 laptop screen. You want it to measure 400 feet roughly.
    7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 as necessary until that length scale measures about 400 feet.
    8. Click 'Save Image" in the dialog box bar.
    9. Load that newly created image into your VTT of choice and set the grid to 65px. It should make one edge of that grid square about 20 yards in length.

I created this map of New York using this method:

https://imgur.com/gallery/OSZ1DOC

Disregard the description on that map link. I was tired when I posted it and can't edit it. Set the grid to 65px square.

EDIT: I have noticed a discrepancy in the rule book and am awaiting official resolution in the Pinnacle forums. In Dawn of the Daikaiju under Kaiju Scale it states: "When using miniatures on a battle map, Dawn of the Daikaiju uses a scale of 1 inch equals 20 yards." However in the Die, Daikaiju, Die! prepared adventure the battlemaps have a 25 yard wide grid scale. If you set the grid to 80px then that would be 25 yards roughly. When I get an official ruling on the scale I will edit this post.

EDIT 2: It's official and the updated Dawn of the Daikaju PDF shows the map as having a 20yd per 1 square size. This was confirmed by Shane in the PEG forums as well.
    Last edited by YggBjorn; September 26th, 2020 at 17:38. Reason: Discrepancy in the rule book.

That's neat, good tip.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Thread Information