STAR TREK 2d20

Pre-population of the map?

I'm working on inputting my first module (DCC#1 Idylis of the Rat King), and am seeing some behavior that seems odd.

1. Is it normal that my pushpins aren't saving when I exit? Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?
    2. Is there a trick to adding creatures to story entries? Given everything else, it SEEMS like I should be able to drag and drop a personality into the entry for a room, but it doesn't work that way.
    3. If I DID manage to get those personalities into the story entry and pushpin it, it seems that I could pre-populate the entire map, or at least easily drag the critters into the room from the story entry. Is this possible, or am I thinking too far ahead.

I guess the dream would be a pushpin in a room that, when clicked, would autmatically pull up the room entry, and add the creatures in that entry to the combat tracker. Is it possible?

Hello

1. This probably isn't it... but are you making sure to turn the pin's back on after you exit and go back in? They are off by default and return to off after exiting and re-entering (at least they did in 1.05, haven't tried in 2.0 yet).

2. You should be able to. Create a link first. This creates a small empty box. Then drag and drop a personality onto that link and it fills in (again, this is how it was in 1.05 and I've not tried in 2.0).

3. You could pin the whole map. Not only could you pin it with the story but also have a 2nd pin for the creatures themselves

Note: I tried the above real quick and it seems to be working as it did in 1.05. Good luck!

rv

To see the pins when you log in again, just press the "Ctrl" key

Thanks - the pins are indeed still there, just not on.

To follow up on the pins. I make pins of the room and then in the room entries I make links to the monsters, not another pin. Thus, I click a room pin on the map and it pops up the room description along with links to the monsters in the room. I then click the room's monster links which pops the personalitys which can be dragged to the combat tracker (and down to the hot bar for fast referance). If found keeping mostly just pins for the room make the map less clutered which makes it easier to find things. Thus I rarely drop just monster pins on the map anymore other for a guard post or something.

OK, I'm still missing something. To create the link to attach the personalities to in a story entry, do I need to edit the xml or can it be done from the GUI? I can't see a way in the GUI to do it.

Figures that I've been using this app for so long only to end up asking so many noob questions when I try to create something in it.

Trying to create something the first time is a learning process. I wasn't quite so gung ho as to do a DCC for my first adventure, I just did a WoTC online adventure. In the edit mode in a storybook entry, on the Main tab of monsters, or in an Item description you can add a link. The link can go to a map, personality, storybook entry. In FG2 I think you may not be able to reliably link to rule modules but I haven't tried it. You could in FG1.

For this example first drag a monster into the personality list if you don't already have one there. To add a link enter edit mode. Right click to bring up the radial menu and then drag to Paragraph Type then Link. This will leave a square box on the sceen. Type the name of the monster. If you hit return you can add another box and monster name. While still in edit mode open the personality list and drag the shaded square of one of the personalities into the empty box. If you do this correctly the box will become shaded. Next exit edit mode. Once you are out of edit mode you can click on the square and it will pop the personality.

Note I just tried this and there seems to be a bug in FG2 that caused the square to act strangely if it was the first and only thing. I just added a line of text - "Monster List" hit return and then added a link which seemed to work.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 1st, 2007 at 02:23.

Yay, that works! Thanks a bunch

Thread Information