5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Drawing Mask with LOS is not smooth

Windows with GeForce 1060 graphics 6GB ram

When I draw a mask the line following the curser will follow the curser, then it stops for a half second, then snaps to the new mouse pointer position and will smoothly follow the pointer, then stop again for half a second and snap to new pointer location making a circle into a polygon. This happens more often the slower I move the mouse. Is it looking at LOS as the mask is being drawn? Maybe do what ever calculations its doing after mouse button release? It seems like its pausing the draw while it thinks about something every second or so. I want the mask line to follow the mouse pointer and not stop during the draw.

When Dynamic Lighting is added this wont be such a big deal but until then I have been drawing a lot of masks and its a pain having to go back and fill in areas during game because the mask draw hung and didnt fill in the section I wanted with the mask.

Last edited by kevininrussia; October 7th, 2020 at 19:28.

I experience the same issue when drawing anything :
    - Mask
    - Walls for LOS
    - Painting tool
    - Eraser

It happens less with the drawings but can be pretty annoying when trying to do circuler shapes.
    I own a tablet that I use for drawing maps and had to stop making them with FGU because of these "lag spikes"

Here is an example of a circular move and the result:
    Last edited by VegaFontana; October 6th, 2020 at 13:01.

Yep, I think this is happening with everyone; the program isn't optimised yet which I believe is the cause.
    I just stop and start from the last point and try to anticipate the spikes.

Yes indeed, I just hope it's just not too much tied to the core of this version.

I remember they made a massive performance update a few weeks ago that fixed most of my issues with lag and libraries.
    But I feel like this issue did not benefit from it.

I'm willing to bet it's an auto save feature.
    I'm changing the way I use the line tool from click and hold to click point to point; it's slower but it's also much more accurate and the spike often happens as I'm lining up the next point.

I'm not seeing any issues like this. Revealing mask areas is smooth via freehand or rectangle; adding Los there are no hitches or anything like that.

A couple of things: Adding LoS is not meant to be done via click and hold. It's meant to be done by click point to point. FG saves every 5 minutes so unless every time you do this FG just happens also to be saving this isn't the cause of your issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I'm not seeing any issues like this. Revealing mask areas is smooth via freehand or rectangle
    We’re you making a mask with LOS on? Rectangle of course is smooth because it’s drawn on mouse click. Freehand the mask is being updated during the draw and causes the issue as shown by others. I get this issue 100% of the time. I have never been able to draw a smooth freehand mask.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininrussia View Post
    We’re you making a mask with LOS on? Rectangle of course is smooth because it’s drawn on mouse click. Freehand the mask is being updated during the draw and causes the issue as shown by others. I get this issue 100% of the time. I have never been able to draw a smooth freehand mask.
    Yes. https://youtu.be/K0M_5UkTqVI
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

In the video you are not getting a line where your mouse was. There are times when the lines are jumping to the mouse pointer making a strait line. If you draw half that speed you will notice it more.

I'm still not seeing anything which is detracting in any way from what I'm trying to do. https://youtu.be/cReEIWjpLNo

Thread Information