DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 58 of 71 First ... 848565758596068 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

Something you may want to test out Dimonic is whether this happens when you run Discord inside a browser as well. I've had similar issues that didn't occur when Discord was running inside Firefox or Chrome but did show up with the Discord app itself running.

Eventually I found this particular suggestion fixed the problem for me (even on a non-arch distribution as well, PulseAudio is PulseAudio): https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pul...s_or_crackling

@dimonic,

I've asked our developer that is more familiar with Linux if they have any ideas. I know we have a fair number of users running on Linux at this time; and we haven't heard any other specific reports regarding performance like this.

However, as noted in the system requirements on Steam and on our wiki, we only support Ubuntu Linux OS. This is taken directly from the documentation for the Unity game development software that we use to provide Linux support.
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...m+Requirements
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...w-and-Download
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Grounds_Unity/

For the performance issues for Windows machines, this is usually caused by the graphics driver software on the machine being set to override application systems (VSync, Frame rate). Also, we have seen some issues from people running on very old hardware (6-8+ years old) and/or trying to run on unsupported operating systems (such as Windows 7).

Regards,
    JPG

I can certainly do that - I do not like pulseaudio either (and it's author should never have been employed much less given important work to ruin). I will try it next session.

I did try running it on this same machine with Ubuntu with the same results around the time of release of Unity (which is why I held off of upgrading as long as I did). It may have changed since, but I probably don't want to whip back and forth without knowing whether it is going to make a difference. Switching OSes is still not a trivial exercise, and I do a lot of work and other things on this machine.

The software has changed a lot at each phase (alpha, beta, release, v4.1). The latest version in testing (v4.1.5) is actually using Unity LTS 2020 vs. previous versions used Unity LTS 2019. From our anecdotal evidence, this seems to be more stable for Linux, and allows native Apple M1 builds. However, we will know more as people beta test.

Regards,
    JPG

Well I have good news to report. I did (first) try upgrading just my graphics drivers - which were not readily available for my current Linux version. I tried compiling from source - but the requirements of the newer drivers basically required the newer OS to be installed (chicken and egg problem). So I took a deep breath and put in the new urls for the "testing" version of devuan that I use (debian like distros come in "stable", "testing" and "experimental"). Testing is named "Chimaera" for devuan. Anyhow, the upgrade went smoothly, and I just launched FGU. Initially utilisation was unchanged. However, /vsync 4 now does something! Utilisation drops right down to 12-20% and other programs remain usable.

Quote Originally Posted by dimonic View Post
    However, /vsync 4 now does something! Utilisation drops right down to 12-20% and other programs remain usable.
    Great news!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread - mostly because for me, it's been good news. I have not had a crash in a very long time during any of my recent sessions that I have been GMing. So, kudos for great work on improving the overall stability!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted in this thread - mostly because for me, it's been good news. I have not had a crash in a very long time during any of my recent sessions that I have been GMing. So, kudos for great work on improving the overall stability!

Thanks!
    That's great news. Thanks for letting us know.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by lazjen View Post

Thanks!
    Same here, no crashes or any other issues other Linux related problems.

Thread Information