DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 17 of 71 First ... 715161718192767 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

Quote Originally Posted by PorkBBQ View Post
    Alain, how were you made aware of the update? This post was the first that I heard about it.

As for version information, I know that this is all early days for the linux installer, but the version info presented to the users needs work. After seeing this post, I tried to force an update, and nothing seemed to happen. I ended up deleting everything (my local files, /usr/share/smiteworks, etc) and getting a new copy of the .deb file from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...WebInstall.deb and reinstalling. The version information still says

v4.0.0 (2020-09-03)

I know the last version I was using was from the 8th (I need the Ubuntu 20.04 fix), so this string hasn't changed in 2 updates. While not the most important thing, keeping this accurate will help prevent confusion when discussing what version we have. The build from the 4th doesn't work on my box, so I don't have that. But I can't say if I am running the build from the 8th, or this update from the 16th.
    8th? The last time the 1st post was updated was the 5th and that was for the update on the 4th. There have been updates since? If there have been it would be nice to not have to guess!

Please update the 1st post with updates!

Blog Entries
    Make sure you are checking both version dates. There is both an application date, and an updater date (which I think is the same as the installer). At least on the Win/Mac versions. I would assume the same for Linux.

The date you see on the launch screen is the application date. Their is a separate date shown on the updater screen when you are running it. Please check and see if that's true for Linux as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    There is a post somewhere in this 16 page thread that says it was updated.
    The first time was in post #103 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post539412)
    but it seems that the updates are not very well advertized.

I agree with @Jiminimonka, the 1st post should be edited every time a new update goes by.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Make sure you are checking both version dates. There is both an application date, and an updater date (which I think is the same as the installer). At least on the Win/Mac versions. I would assume the same for Linux.

The date you see on the launch screen is the application date. Their is a separate date shown on the updater screen when you are running it. Please check and see if that's true for Linux as well.
    No way of knowing if the launcher has had an update from the .deb file - and some of use are not using Ubuntu so having an update on the first thread (along with a message saying its been updated so we get an email as thread-subs) would be of great help, especially since we are TESTING it. I've been testing the same build since 4th September.

LordEntrails,
    I'm new to fantasy grounds, and I think applications that update themselves are strange and alien. We invented repositories, yum, apt-get and the rest to avoid the horrors of RPM hell. But I understand that FGU both (1) comes from windows world and (2) has way more DLC content than most applications. So forgive me if have a few missteps

I see the 4th as the date in the updater, and the 8th as the date in the launcher.

Jiminimonka,
    Smelton said there was an update on the 8th. See comment #135 in this thread. At this point I'm not sure what was updated but FGU started working on Ubuntu 20.04 with that change.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkBBQ View Post
    LordEntrails,
    I'm new to fantasy grounds, and I think applications that update themselves are strange and alien. We invented repositories, yum, apt-get and the rest to avoid the horrors of RPM hell. But I understand that FGU both (1) comes from windows world and (2) has way more DLC content than most applications. So forgive me if have a few missteps

I see the 4th as the date in the updater, and the 8th as the date in the launcher.

Jiminimonka,
    Smelton said there was an update on the 8th. See comment #135 in this thread. At this point I'm not sure what was updated but FGU started working on Ubuntu 20.04 with that change.
    Same dates for me, and the FGUWebInstall.deb file downloaded in the first post file creation dates for all the content is the 4th September.

Blog Entries
    To be clear, I'm not saying the first post shouldn't be updated or any other type of version indications would not be wise. Just letting you know what I know about the general FG environment

Also, you funny penguin people like to and understand repositories, version control, etc. Most FG users are casual PC/Mac users and don't know or care about any of that. They just "want it to work" as easily as possible So, remember, the devs have always had to deal with that mindset as first and foremost.

Again, that's not to say how it's currently being done is the best way or the way it is going to be. Just educating and then you all can let SmiteWorks know what you would prefer. IMO, they are good at listening to the community.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    To be clear, I'm not saying the first post shouldn't be updated or any other type of version indications would not be wise. Just letting you know what I know about the general FG environment

Also, you funny penguin people like to and understand repositories, version control, etc. Most FG users are casual PC/Mac users and don't know or care about any of that. They just "want it to work" as easily as possible So, remember, the devs have always had to deal with that mindset as first and foremost.

Again, that's not to say how it's currently being done is the best way or the way it is going to be. Just educating and then you all can let SmiteWorks know what you would prefer. IMO, they are good at listening to the community.
    Yes, no worries - its working fine for me, just wondering if I missed an update. Happy to have it working in Linux and to wait for bugs to be ironed out.

Fedors 32 here; If I install through Steam, it will install and then error out launching, complaining that it cannot find the executable/path. If I install via the Debian package ( using alien -i *.deb ) ; it installs fine and I can start it ; but it hangs forever after I put in my login credentials. Let me know if any logs would be helpful for anyone, and keep up the great work ( I'm so excited )

*** Edit
    I have moved the folder from the install dir /usr/share/smiteworks to my home directory and fixed the permission. It would still hang at the login screen, so I did a bit of digging and apparently , it can't find ca-certificates.crt in /etc/ssl/certs on Fedora. So I grabbed one from somewhere and just copied it there, and I was then able to login. But of course this is all too good to be true, and it really wants the files to be in /usr/share/smiteworks So having put them back, everything seems to be working now. ( well I get to the main splash screen , and it just hangs there )
    Last edited by roncioiu; September 19th, 2020 at 04:21.

Code:
    /usr/share/smiteworks/fantasygrounds/
    should have perms of 755, but luancher sets it to 055 causing a "failure to fix permissions" error in the launcher.
    Version 4.0.0 2020-09-03

Thread Information