FG Spreadshirt Swag
    Blog Entries

Creating Custom Classes for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG Ruleset

One of the new features for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG Ruleset is improved customization of classes. This includes several fields that will auto-populate when you drag the class onto the character sheet to level up. This tutorial demonstrates the step-by-step process for creating a custom class.

Post any problems/questions here...

Main

Enter a description of the class in the formatted text field.

tutorial 2 main.jpg
    Last edited by leozelig; August 26th, 2020 at 22:00.

Blog Entries
    HD and Proficiencies

Click on the Abilities tab.

Enter the HD per level using the format ‘#d#’. Enter the first level proficiencies for weapons and armor in the designated fields.

tutorial 4 abilities.jpg
    Last edited by leozelig; August 26th, 2020 at 22:03.

Blog Entries
    Skills

To add a skill, (1) click the brown ‘Edit List’ button, followed by (2) the green ‘Add Item’ button, and then (3) enter the name of the skill on the blank line.

tutorial 5 skills.jpg

Click the shortcut icon to the right to enter additional details for each skill. Specify the ability modifier for the skill (if any) using the format ‘Strength’, ‘Agility’, ‘Stamina’, etc. Toggle the checkbox to show/hide the advancement table. Note that this button is only visible in edit mode (i.e. when the record is unlocked - see screenshot below). Enter the die or bonus per level for the skill in the string field using the format ‘d#’ or ‘+#’.

tutorial 6 skills.jpg

Drag skills from the library or existing classes as desired. Note that text in parenthesis is stripped from the skill name when dropped to the class record.

tutorial 7 skills.jpg
    Last edited by leozelig; August 26th, 2020 at 22:12.

Blog Entries
    Features

To add a feature, click the ‘Edit List’ button followed by the ‘Add Item’ button. Enter the name of the feature on the blank line and the level at which the feature is acquired in the number field to the left.

tutorial 8 features.jpg

Click the shortcut icon to the right to enter a description for each class feature.

tutorial 9 features.jpg

Drag class features from existing classes to the new class as desired.

tutorial 10 features.jpg
    Last edited by leozelig; August 26th, 2020 at 21:56.

Blog Entries
    Table

Click on the Other tab.

Select the desired options for the new class using the checkboxes, which are visible only in edit mode. The advancement table below will update according to your selections.

tutorial 11 advancement.jpg

Expand the window size if necessary to view the entire table. The format for each column is based on the class tables in the core rules. Examples: Deed Die ‘+d10+1’, Threat Range ‘19-20’, Luck Die ‘d5’.

tutorial 12 advancement.jpg
    Last edited by leozelig; August 26th, 2020 at 22:04.

Hi! Sorry to necro the thread here... I am actually trying to input the Bard class from "Crawl!" into DCC, and getting this error when I am testing it out (dragging it onto a level 0 character):

[8/19/2021 6:16:43 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/manager_char.lua"]:418: attempt to index a nil value
    Do you know if there's something required I might be missing that could cause this? It seems like a bug, since I can copy an existing class, copy the attributes over, and then it doesn't have this error.

Ah! Apologies - I figured it out. The "Magic" ability needs to have a statement about how the spell is cast; I guess the ruleset parses that to determine the spell checks. So I added:

Bards cast spells by making a spell check. A bard's spell check is usually 1d20 + Personality modifier + caster level. A bard does not receive a Mercurial Magic effect and cannot spellburn, but he does not risk corruption. Instead of corruption, a misfire occurs.
    And that fixed it up! (I am taking some liberties on the rules here since the zine did not include this paragraph, but it's how I interpret it.). Once I get this all working, I'll start a new thread to share with the community.

Thread Information