DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Space Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Xargun View Post
    Not so eager for High Guard as I am for Ship Combat to be fully integrated

Xargun
    I am not launching my campaign UNTIL ship combat is fully integrated. I bought Traveller assuming it was a complete system and am very disappointed that after my purchase I discovered it was still in development. For me and my gamers the Ship Combat component is vitally important. It makes little sense to me to launch High Guard until the space combat system is up and running. Kind of the cart before the horse situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvesr View Post
    I am not launching my campaign UNTIL ship combat is fully integrated. I bought Traveller assuming it was a complete system and am very disappointed that after my purchase I discovered it was still in development. For me and my gamers the Ship Combat component is vitally important. It makes little sense to me to launch High Guard until the space combat system is up and running. Kind of the cart before the horse situation.
    Same here - but my group seems fine.. We did some space combat and they lost all their taste for it once they had to pay for repairs on their ship. As for the completedness of the product I am fine with it. I left roll20 to come here and so far in the couple months we've been here I have seen more development on the product than I saw in years on roll20. I, for one, am willing to wait for the new features to be added.

Xargun

I love the development and the responsiveness!! MBM is a lunatic with is drive and virve for the game and he is why I didn't cut and run and remain patiently in the wings.

Sadly for me I am not a huge tech guy when it comes to community expansions and add in this or that mod...I find there is much assumption of technical knowledge about the system that I frankly lack. But I am working through that and trust it will all become clear in due course.

Soon as High Guard is ready for release I will let you know. It's with Smiteworks for the moment.

I'm starting to add Spacecombat to the ruleset coming with the last CSC branch v1.1.6 which I will complete this week and you'll see it next week.

Then we switch to v1.2.X branch and I'll do frequent updates adding more and more. I want to run Pirates (which is almost complete) but it needs Space Combat. So that's my No1 focus now.

Huzzah
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by Xargun View Post
    Not so eager for High Guard as I am for Ship Combat to be fully integrated

Xargun
    I thought the two were intertwined. The full release of ship combat is part of the core ruleset then?

Quote Originally Posted by rcruk View Post
    I thought the two were intertwined. The full release of ship combat is part of the core ruleset then?
    Yep the Ship Combat will be part of the Core Ruleset as such being built on the v1.2.X release schedule, though fits in with High Guard and so I'll make sure HG is supported, if need be through a module check.

All I needed was the data from High Guard to allow me to see the extent of all the work required, that data is mostly done. Needs weapons which is all very loose, so I'm still thinking on the following:

Patrol Corvette has '2 x Triple Turret Pulse Lasers'

Now Pulse Lasers give DM+2 to hit. so do you just put the Fire Control/Gunnery skill up by +2, or my preferred way, add a trait called 'Pulse Laser' and that automatically adds +2. The same with the Triple Turret, the Pulse does 2D damage and a Triple adds +4 Damage (+1 per Damage Dice per additional turret), again I'm tempted to add a trait of 'Triple Turret'. I know this mirrors the description, but traits allow me to add automation much easier.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

careful mbm you can have a triple turret with a sandcaster, missile launcher and laser all in at once (so you cannot assume a laser in a triple turret means 3 lasers).

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    careful mbm you can have a triple turret with a sandcaster, missile launcher and laser all in at once (so you cannot assume a laser in a triple turret means 3 lasers).
    Yes, which is why the traits works better, Each one would just be a standard of each, without any triple trait, so no damage bonus etc.

Sold then, traits is the way to go with it all.

Hey MBM,
    How are you dealing with distances?
    I have been playing for a (very, very, Methuselah time frames) time.
    I still have my copy of Mayday from CT in its original box.
    From what I can see, you are dealing with MGT2's theatre of the mind style combat and the issues involving what can be, a tactical miniature war game.
    MGT2 is wonderful in that they went back into CT's LBB 2 combat ranges, where you can have an entire vectored combat over a world surface (the template for earth was about 10cm across once you had the gravity ranges in place, while gas giants would consume the entire map.)
    Mayday made every hex 30,000km which became the standard from then on, which took 90% of the fun of the game, away.
    I use a modified version of Mayday - movement is per mayday, all rolls/combat/damage is per MGT2 while the underlying hexes are 1,000km
    Adjacent = Same hex but you need to roll to keep adjacent
    Close =Same hex
    Short = up to 2 hexes
    Medium = 3-10 Hexes
    Long = 11-25 Hexes (about 1 hex range in the old style games)
    Distant = 26+ Hexes.

So world Templates would lock to hexes and include not only the world image but would have the gravity vector hexes as well.
    You have your "Current" location and a marker for your location next turn.

In other words, simple vector combat, on an interesting board, while supporting MGT2 mechanics.
    All of the game mechanics where worked out over 30 years ago. If you are interested I can provide graphics and explanations.

So, a translation from the theatre of the mind to a mix of board/rpg game for combat.
    You are limited by "producing what mongoose has published" but I have talked with Mathew many times and he is open to new ideas, send him an email and get his thoughts.

Just a thought.

Hi dalton, I'd like to see your work to combine Mayday and MGT2e's theater of the mind system.
    this is exactly what we are aiming for in our game.
    thanks

Thread Information