DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last

Savage Worlds Effects Help

I have been looking through the wiki and am having trouble making heads or tails of a couple of things.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...Worlds_Effects

I understand some of it but others have such woefully incomplete details that it makes it hard to understand.

I am looking to run a Fantasy game and need damage types for weapons and spells and then of course immunity or resistance to said damage types. I thought I had to make an extension for this but it seems that some functionality is already built in toward the bottom but, again details are scarce and I am not able to get them to work. In the Fantasy Companion from Deluxe they defined Resistance as having +4 Toughness against a given type of damage but it would work equally well if the damage were reduced against a target by 4 instead. Which seems to be how the last 2 examples work.

If someone can help me out on this I would appreciate it.

I put [@Piercing] on an NPC attack and [@Piercing Damage -4] on the targeted character and nothing seems to change when I roll the dice against said target.

And if anyone can point me in the direction of the code that parses this text that would be awesome as well.

Believe you want to add # to both and to change NPC to [#Piercing] or weapon to [> #Piercing].

Not able to test or lookup at moment, but think it should be something like this.

So NPC should have [> #Piercing] or in weapon keyword area Piercing.

And whatever armor should have [@#Piercing Damage -4]

Just thought of this:
    '>' means for effect to be on this attack/roll
    '@' means effect target this is on.
    '#' means this is a custom keyword and look

You can add effects to weapons, in the keyword? (last line with label) and armor
    Last edited by Mgrancey; August 24th, 2020 at 18:28.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Appreciate the reply.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. I also can't get the effects to populate when I equip the item in question. This has worked in the past but recently has been intermittently working at best.

So this is what I have, to provide a more complete picture. I assume that Fire is a predefined keyword in the ruleset which is why it doesn't appear to have the # in front of it in the Wiki, it would make sense but should have been called out a bit in my opinion.

So simply doing [@Damage -4] seems to reduce any damage taken by the recipient of the effect by 4.

I have [@#Piercing Damage -4] on my test PC and [>#Piercing] on the Hobgoblin's attacks in the NPC block. This doesn't seem to work. I have tried it with and without the '#'...

As for the effects showing in the Combat Tracker it seems to be hit or miss but the effect seems to be taken into account when resolving said attacks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Slagmoth; August 25th, 2020 at 00:28. Reason: Ancient format for posting attachments.

Home and was able to test.

Okay, so first I was wrong, '#' tells it to access the master effect list. You don't want to use it.

So after testing it, you need to put Piercing either in the Weapons Keyword box or in the notes box in the line below it. See Piercing NPC. You can also quickly add by putting in the notes line below Reach on the NPC sheet.

As part of the armor or as an effect, you want to put [@Piercing Damage -4]. You should also be able to quickly add it to someone via the effects in the combat tracker. See: Piercing PC Effect and Piercing PC Armor

Also make sure of your spelling and syntax, spaces, puncuation, and spelling being wrong will break the effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Thank you so much... I was about to say it wasn't working but the Test Hobgoblin I was using was in the Combat Tracker and then I edited the weapon... I had to re-add the Hobgoblin to refresh its instance. But it works now... thanks again.

Next issue... where does the key word go for Powers?

Nevermind, found it.
    Last edited by Slagmoth; August 25th, 2020 at 05:06.

What would the phrasing be for having an effect that would grant immunity to said type?

I have tried "Ignore" but that doesn't seem to cut it or maybe I have my order of operations incorrect.

Can't test at moment, would suggest something along lines. of:

[Ignore Piercing Damage]
    [Piercing Damage -30]

I know there is immunity as a Montstrous Ability but not what the coding, if any, is. Might be [Immune Piercing], but I think that might be 5e effects coding instead.

I tested a Bolt with "Fire" on it against the Fire Elemental... doesn't appear there is any coding behind that ability from which to extrapolate what I want. I suppose I could just choose an obscenely high number if I can't figure out anything else.

There is coding, you want [@Immunity TYPE], though you will need to add "TYPE" to the keyword list for powers and weapons. This can be done by right clicking and the attack info (3 o'clock position), then putting it in the Keyword line (works for both Powers and Weapons).

You might have forgotten the "@" in the first part of coding. Also where you put it is important as well. You can put the [@Immunity TYPE] in a couple of spots:
    1. Armor Keyword/Effect line, Modifiers (as like with Piercing)
    2. Racial/Special abilities in the notes/effect line (as per Fire Elemental)
    3. Effects line in Combat tracker
    Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information