STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 49 First ... 2345614 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughnlannister View Post
    Hi, here are a few images that demonstrate what I'm seeing.
    When using it with MadNomads Character Tweaks.

The polymorph change, is only visible in Inventory tab, instead it should be present in the action tab to activate?

I tried to DM you but.. couldn't figure out how to add images so I posted it to your thread instead.
    As I wrote in DMsG the low level code that I had to use I overwrite (even the original version of it) only uses indexes to reference the tabs. There is nothing else the way they've implemented it. In fact if you look at any code manipulating tabs (say char_wizard) you'd see they all do it via indexes. For 5E you can see that when the tabs are defined they are stored purely by index - not name. You can reference the code behind the tab by name - but not the tab itself. That is index based.

Currently in 5E that is mapped out per comment in my code as follows for the PC and NPC sheets...

Code:
    	-- window.parentcontrol.window.tabs.getIndex()
    		-- charsheet
    			-- 0 - none
    			-- 1 - main
    			-- 2 - skills
    			-- 3 - abilities
    			-- 4 - inventory
    			-- 5 - notes
    			-- 6 - logs
    			-- 7 - actions
    		-- npc
    			-- 0 - none
    			-- 1 - main_creature
    			-- 2 - text
    If someone has messed with that core order by changing that order rather than modifying the code the tab points to - or adding a new tab at the end (new index higher than 7) - then for sure my stuff would be displaying what your seeing.

There is no Index to name map - that is something that does not currently exist in tab controls to my knowledge (could be wrong) - I'd have to write it myself. It would have to be a map of what the original numbers were verses the name of the class window code behind the tab (which is not actually the tab - just what it points too).

I'm going to have to think on this as there is limited code that deals with the tabs themselves but mine is one of them. I think the new char_wizard is another - though it is its own tabs in that case. I did not consider that the 5E default tabs would actually be changed by someone (inserting things in between things rather than adding them to end) based on how the low level code is set up to function (not mine - well it is now as I had to add more intelligence to it for my stuff to work).

Gist being - yeah - mess with the low level tab indexing for 5E and my extension is not going to display properly as the wrong tabs are going to be extended/contracted and have the char_polymorphism sub window added in.

Only solution I can think of is I'd have to literally somehow determine the window name to tab index and make a map that I could use (if one does not already exist that I'm unaware of). I'll think on it though. Test my theory - turn off the extension messing with tab ordering in 5E and let me know if my stuff then appears correctly.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; September 3rd, 2020 at 23:39.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    As I wrote in DMsG the low level code that I had to use I overwrite (even the original version of it) only uses indexes to reference the tabs. There is nothing else the way they've implemented it. In fact if you look at any code manipulating tabs (say char_wizard) you'd see they all do it via indexes. For 5E you can see that when the tabs are defined they are stored purely by index - not name. You can reference the code behind the tab by name - but not the tab itself. That is index based.

Currently in 5E that is mapped out per comment in my code as follows for the PC and NPC sheets...

Code:
    	-- window.parentcontrol.window.tabs.getIndex()
    		-- charsheet
    			-- 0 - none
    			-- 1 - main
    			-- 2 - skills
    			-- 3 - abilities
    			-- 4 - inventory
    			-- 5 - notes
    			-- 6 - logs
    			-- 7 - actions
    		-- npc
    			-- 0 - none
    			-- 1 - main_creature
    			-- 2 - text
    If someone has messed with that core order by changing that order rather than modifying the code the tab points to - or adding a new tab at the end (new index higher than 7) - then for sure my stuff would be displaying what your seeing.

There is no Index to name map - that is something that does not currently exist in tab controls to my knowledge (could be wrong) - I'd have to write it myself. It would have to be a map of what the original numbers were verses the name of the class window code behind the tab (which is not actually the tab - just what it points too).

I'm going to have to think on this as there is limited code that deals with the tabs themselves but mine is one of them. I think the new char_wizard is another - though it is its own tabs in that case. I did not consider that the 5E default tabs would actually be changed by someone (inserting things in between things rather than adding them to end) based on how the low level code is set up to function (not mine - well it is now as I had to add more intelligence to it for my stuff to work).

Gist being - yeah - mess with the low level tab indexing for 5E and my extension is not going to display properly as the wrong tabs are going to be extended/contracted and have the char_polymorphism sub window added in.

Only solution I can think of is I'd have to literally somehow determine the window name to tab index and make a map that I could use (if one does not already exist that I'm unaware of). I'll think on it though. Test my theory - turn off the extension messing with tab ordering in 5E and let me know if my stuff then appears correctly.
    Just checked buttongroup_tabs.lua again - there is no name access. The name can be derived from it as it does have it - it just does not present any way to do it outside of the indexing. I can use the getTab(index) to pull out a name but man... this is why I stopped working on this thing after 350 hours and put in a caveats section. This is just one more of many specialized changes I need to do to get things to work generically when unexpected things happen.

I'll play with it tonight and tomorrow. If you see a new version pop up that means I decided to once again shoulder the responsibility in my expansion. If not - it means "caveat" time as it was more trouble than it was worth and unexpected stuff cropped up preventing it from happening in my end.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Just checked buttongroup_tabs.lua again - there is no name access. The name can be derived from it as it does have it - it just does not present any way to do it outside of the indexing. I can use the getTab(index) to pull out a name but man... this is why I stopped working on this thing after 350 hours and put in a caveats section. This is just one more of many specialized changes I need to do to get things to work generically when unexpected things happen.

I'll play with it tonight and tomorrow. If you see a new version pop up that means I decided to once again shoulder the responsibility in my expansion. If not - it means "caveat" time as it was more trouble than it was worth and unexpected stuff cropped up preventing it from happening in my end.
    I'm just now noticing in your pictures and they are really confusing me. As I pointed out - the index to name order in 5E are what I expect. I do checks against the index I'm given by the tabs low level code - and also do direct windows manipulation by the class name of that window in 5E. If your picture is correct - not only have the indexes changed (as in inventory is now index 7 instead of actions) the names of the classes have changed in some cases?

For absolute sure if a window class name I'm accessing in 5E is now "gone" then bad things will happen when I try to access them. I'm still pretty confused how this is even working in inventory as in order to make space for my sub_window I have to push down the named window to make space.

Code:
    			-- PC sheet has seven tabs we need to push down to make room for sub_polymorphism (we won't try and display on tabs that aren't known to us)
    			window.parentcontrol.window.main.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			window.parentcontrol.window.skills.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			window.parentcontrol.window.abilities.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			window.parentcontrol.window.inventory.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			window.parentcontrol.window.notes.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			window.parentcontrol.window.logs.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    			window.parentcontrol.window.actions.setAnchor("top", "name", "bottom", "relative", 128);
    Yet if those names have changed then bad things can happen. The only reason you're even seeing the things work in inventory is because it's name has not changed and I happen to prepare all 7 tabs for my sub window (as it will put it in all of them when polymorphism is in effect). Point being - nobody really has to understand that - but the fact I reference 5E window class names mean I expect to find them - not have them "removed" or "renamed". You access a null window and things can explode. Gist being - your working by pure luck that inventory is index 7 and its name has not changed. I admit I am surprised I did not get console errors if some of the windows are missing from the charsheet that I expect to be there.

Gist being - I'm not sure if I create a brand new set of mapping logic to try and figure out what name goes with what index for my checks - this will not "fix" the fact that windows I expect in 5E are now missing.

We'll have to talk about it tomorrow as I'm now not sure this can be "fixed" short of now going back in and trying to verify that windows I expect to be in 5E - that are part of 5E - are actually still there. Seems this could be "pandora's box" to try to fix this for you - and while I'm not against trying if it turns out not be something I'd rather not open up - I no longer am confident there is not more going on here than appears.

This expansion is for FGU and 5E. If the windows of 5E begin to change out from under me - I no longer know if I can support something that does that. Maybe I can - but not so sure now. Will wait to talk to you about it tomorrow after I see your test when you turn the other extension off.

Hi, Thanks! SilentRuin, here is a link to MadNomad's discord, I would post this comment there.. he could maybe give you some pointers, where to look?

Look for #MadNomad in the channels (if you want of course) :https://discord.gg/ufVUFZ

Hi, Thanks! SilentRuin, here is a link to MadNomad's discord, I would post this comment there.. he could maybe give you some pointers, where to look?

Look for #MadNomad in the channels (if you want of course) :https://discord.gg/ufVUFZ
    Pretty sure he's just changing things at a much higher level in the code for pure display purposes. The issue for me is I'm doing a lot of very low level things to be able to work the magic I have going on and have made assumptions that the tab class window index and names are going to be out there. Your picture clearly shows me this assumption is only true as long as nobody rewrites the tabs for their own purposes. The trick for me is how will I generically (not just for this guy) handle making my window appear in actions tab (which has changed here) and also appear in all the standard 5E windows when polymorph is in effect (which also changed here).

The only generic solution I can think of (not getting into game of compensating for every extension out there) is to verify that every named window call I make that I verify it exist first - if not then I simply don't use it. This will mean that when I try to display the polymorph status in every tab (default 5E) that it will not be doing some of them now. Which is fine I suppose.

The other generic solution will be that I need to find the few tab index checks I make to determine display (this is all that low level code will pass me) now actually calls getTab on the index to verify that the name expected (actions for PC and main_creature for NPC sheets) is there or basically error and declare it incompatible as I 100% have to have those tabs. Also have to have main (PC) or it will 100% not work. Change any names for those and it will not work period.

I'll try to do this but I give no promises it will fully fix your issue. That's about as far as I'm willing to bend over to accommodate this sort of thing. Should that be enough to fix your issue? Maybe. No promises. And as I said if doing this opens pandora's box - then it may be a listed caveat that it simply does not work with that extension.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; September 4th, 2020 at 02:15.

Hi, Thanks! SilentRuin,...
    Did what I could. V 1.3 is out there. It will work or it won't. All I'm sure is that it does not effect me with the changes I made.

Let me know what happens.

It's working off the tab sub window name not the display name (thus I don't care if you change main or actions or main_creature display to user name as long as you leave sub window class name alone).
    Last edited by SilentRuin; September 4th, 2020 at 02:04.

Hi you did it !!! Amazing!! Really appreciate your help, I will give you a good review on dmsguild, where I include all the extension that it is compatible with!
    whatever you did also solved a conflict between, One-Click-Druid applying disguises on PCs.

Again thanks again man!!!

You are pretty much a coding beast, SilentRuin 👍

Hi SilentRuin, I don't know why, but the Token that I see in the "Action Tab", does not match the token I see on the NPC, which matches to the token on the battle map.
    It's not a big issue, but wondering if that might be something you would like to improve in the future.

Again many thanks for all your help, can't wait to use your extension in tomorrow's game!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I have another question, from reading DMSguild, description I got the idea that Polymorphing NPCs would be possible, but I haven't gotten it to work? Could you confirm if this is possible and help me where I can find out how to apply it to my NPC?

I have a druid NPC from Lost mine of Phandelver (Ruins of Thundertree), would like to give the Wildshape to his squirrel form if possible.

Many Thanks!!

Thread Information