FG Spreadshirt Swag

Player Facing Rolls?

Has anyone come up with an extension for player facing rolls like described in this video? it would be fore 5E but if something like it is already done for a different rule set it would be a place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8If0mcYvnk

basically changing attacking a PC from an attack roll to a defense roll by the PC. math ends up the same but has the player rolling.
    attacks by the PC remain unchanged.

didn't find it or anything like it searching the forum, but it may be called something else.

Oh how I wish...

I had just converted my Roll20 game to player-facing before we came here. I loved it. Players did as well (all but one, he was neutral). But it was easier to do on Roll20 since no automation. Here, I wouldn't even know where to start.

And before someone makes the obvious comment about just rolling dice and figuring out the math, or something similar, I respond that if I was going to give up FG's combat tracker automation, I'd go to another VTT. The automation is what makes FG the best VTT available right now. Though FVTT is threatening FG's crown...
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

I think the problem is the automation, I mean, there is often just one designated defense value but a lot of different attacks among (N)PCs. Making players roll everything would make the coding difficult, because how should FG know against which attack/action you are rolling your defense against? One would need to have a target UI for all different attacks and the DM might want to hide the attacks somehow; or the DM clicks an attack and the player gets a prompt asking for rolling defense which may slow down everything a bit Sounds complicated, not impossible, but surely also not easy to implement and it adds a lot to the maintenance of the code probably because the standard way of rolling still needs to be kept since most rulesets still keep it different. Moreover, one may need to do that for each ruleset separately

(Of course, one could code it in such a way that instead of automatically rolling attacks that the defense is automatically rolled, that is probably way easier to do in the existing structure. But then I do not see the gain because the concept of player-based rolls are about that the players are actively rolling everything, while in that approach the rolling is still automatic without involving the player directly, so, still passively involved because the DM still starts the roll by clicking on something. The only real thing changed is maybe that then the "entitlement" of the roll's result is at the player)

EDIT: Although I would like to have that, too
    Last edited by Kelrugem; August 18th, 2020 at 03:11.

Valid points, Kelrugem.

I wonder if the attack of an NPC could be 'checked' in the DM's combat tracker, thus indicating which attack the next defense roll is rolling against.

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    Valid points, Kelrugem.

I wonder if the attack of an NPC could be 'checked' in the DM's combat tracker, thus indicating which attack the next defense roll is rolling against.
    that sounds like a good idea for something like this

When you develop it, if it's avail for 5e, I'll gladly pay Kel.

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    When you develop it, if it's avail for 5e, I'll gladly pay Kel.
    hehe

Just came here to say I would pay for this with 5e as well.
    Looks at Kelugrem with begging doe eyes.
    ejen-ali-shy.gif

Thread Information