DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 7 of 7 First ... 567
    I do so much DMing, that if it ran better on Linux or Mac (like use multithreading) I would buy that machine for FG. The constant (but not predictable) pausing, stuttering, load time delays (not to mention loading the game!) drives me insane. Players always asking "Did I roll?" then I answer, "just give it a min, I am opening up a token."
    The problem is I am so in love with this software and financially committed, I just deal. I was told to lessen the extensions and modules. Sorry, I am an addict - not going to happen.

Blog Entries
    We understand your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by dimonic View Post
    I haven't seen any GPU settings that I can try. No-one seems to post suggestions that apply to Linux. I have tried /vsync 4 and it does help somewhat. However, I see static load of around 100% with no players logged in and just a map sitting there with no interaction. I don't know what it is doing, but (in my view) it isn't doing anything that I would expect to see 100% CPU use for.
    This is indicative of a problem with your graphics driver. Some graphics drivers will do exactly this, try to cause the Unity engine to redraw the screen as often as it possibly can so that you get the best screen refresh rates possible. This is in part why the vsync command was created. But, still some graphic drivers override application settings.

I can't very well put in a cheap GPU - there aren't any for laptops as far as I know. I don't really want to go into my office and use my desktop for after dinner gaming. I don't think it's too much to expect that software for a TTRPG should run on a decent laptop. If you are expecting a desktop rig, you are running full tilt in the opposite direction to the market, which in case you haven't noticed, is increasingly mobile and lightweight.
    No they are not expecting users to have a desktop rig. As has been stated repeatedly by myself and others. Plus if you check the hardware requirements they are not all that much either. I've seen reports of people using Surface Pro and other near tablet like devices as well, so again, hardware can be very lightwieght. It's just something about yours is not running as it should.

Not that it matters much, since a GPU is not required, but some laptops do have them. Mine for example has an NVIDIA built for laptops.

Perhaps it doesn't "require" a gaming rig - but I bet the developers all work on powerful rigs with GPUs. Perhaps they should set one of them up with an integrated GPU system like mine for a couple of weeks. I normally use mine for compiles of cross-platform software (gcc-linux-armhf-gnueabi) and it's fine for that. Any developer worth their salt would fix the problem if they had to live with it until it was fixed.
    I know the developers also test on old workstations and laptops as well. They have stated so in other threads when trying to reproduce issues. They have been in the VTT business longer than most any other VTT, much of the time with the same developers and I believe they have kept their old hardware exactly for this purpose.

Again, we understand why you are frustrated, but the problem you are experiencing is not common or easily reproducible and is something with your setup. It shows all the signs of an issue with your graphics driver, but we don't have a clone of your environment so nobody on the forums can tell you what settings might be available in your driver to assist. Usually they are called things like "let application decide settings" or "application specific performance".

Also, in case you we not aware, it is just with FGU (released last year) that the developers have been supporting a cross-platform application. So cross platform issues are not something the community has years of experience with. You may find folks in this thread more familiar with Linux issues; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Linux-Testing

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Not to mention, online playing skyrocketed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    We understand your frustration.

This is indicative of a problem with your graphics driver. Some graphics drivers will do exactly this, try to cause the Unity engine to redraw the screen as often as it possibly can so that you get the best screen refresh rates possible. This is in part why the vsync command was created. But, still some graphic drivers override application settings.

No they are not expecting users to have a desktop rig. As has been stated repeatedly by myself and others. Plus if you check the hardware requirements they are not all that much either. I've seen reports of people using Surface Pro and other near tablet like devices as well, so again, hardware can be very lightwieght. It's just something about yours is not running as it should.

Not that it matters much, since a GPU is not required, but some laptops do have them. Mine for example has an NVIDIA built for laptops.

I know the developers also test on old workstations and laptops as well. They have stated so in other threads when trying to reproduce issues. They have been in the VTT business longer than most any other VTT, much of the time with the same developers and I believe they have kept their old hardware exactly for this purpose.

Again, we understand why you are frustrated, but the problem you are experiencing is not common or easily reproducible and is something with your setup. It shows all the signs of an issue with your graphics driver, but we don't have a clone of your environment so nobody on the forums can tell you what settings might be available in your driver to assist. Usually they are called things like "let application decide settings" or "application specific performance".

Also, in case you we not aware, it is just with FGU (released last year) that the developers have been supporting a cross-platform application. So cross platform issues are not something the community has years of experience with. You may find folks in this thread more familiar with Linux issues; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Linux-Testing
    All of this is good to know, and contradicts some of the responses I have received in the past (statements that gave the distinct impression that FG is a premium application with a lot of gamer customers and so I should expect to need premium hardware to run it).

I have tried installing the latest DRI drivers in the version of Linux I am using, and I will experiment in that direction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimonic View Post
    All of this is good to know, and contradicts some of the responses I have received in the past (statements that gave the distinct impression that FG is a premium application with a lot of gamer customers and so I should expect to need premium hardware to run it).
    Some folks on the forums here are very enthusiastic about FG and their computers And the see the "best" way to solve a performance issue it to increase hardware capabilities. But there is significant evidence on the forums here that often times newer hardware runs FGU slower than older hardware. My opinion is it's usually because of a) driver issues, or b) expectations (i.e. why can't I run FGU on multiple 4K displays with a 90 FPS refresh and millisecond response times, my hardware can do that for game x, y, z...)

Hopefully the new drivers will get you to where you need. If not, the Linux thread might get you folks with more Linux knowledge who can point you in the right direction.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Some folks on the forums here are very enthusiastic about FG and their computers And the see the "best" way to solve a performance issue it to increase hardware capabilities. But there is significant evidence on the forums here that often times newer hardware runs FGU slower than older hardware. My opinion is it's usually because of a) driver issues, or b) expectations (i.e. why can't I run FGU on multiple 4K displays with a 90 FPS refresh and millisecond response times, my hardware can do that for game x, y, z...)

Hopefully the new drivers will get you to where you need. If not, the Linux thread might get you folks with more Linux knowledge who can point you in the right direction.
    Well I have good news to report. I did (first) try upgrading just my graphics drivers - which were not readily available for my current Linux version. I tried compiling from source - but the requirements of the newer drivers basically required the newer OS to be installed (chicken and egg problem). So I took a deep breath and put in the new urls for the "testing" version of devuan that I use (debian like distros come in "stable", "testing" and "experimental"). Testing is named "Chimaera" for devuan. Anyhow, the upgrade went smoothly, and I just launched FGU. Initially utilisation was unchanged. However, /vsync 4 now does something! Utilisation drops right down to 15-30% and other programs remain usable.

It sounds like the old graphics driver or OS was not respecting VSync.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It sounds like the old graphics driver or OS was not respecting VSync.

Regards,
    JPG
    Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like. Maybe soon I will get this and things will be even better?

Thread Information