FG Spreadshirt Swag

Rolling Dice In Real Life In Combat

Hi there,

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds and am trying a few things out. I came from Roll20 but I saw that FG had much more options, so I am thinking of switching over. What we currently do is the following. Me and my friends are with each other around the table. There we have a "DM Laptop" in which I can control things, and a PC laptop that streams to the TV for the PCs to see what's going on. Currently, FG seems to be insane with most things, but combat might become tricky.

The PCs roll hit and damage dice IRL and then apply this damage to the target. I've seen some video's on combat in FG, so I know how FGs combat is supposed to work normally, but I haven't found a way yet to easily alter the HP in combat. What I previously could do on Roll20 is have the NPCs' health above their token, which could be altered manually. In FG, as far as I know, I can manually increase the "wounds" of a NPC, but this has to be done in the Combat Tracker, which isn't ideal, especially with bigger battles with many NPCs

Is there perhaps any way to do this more efficient?

Hi notime welcome to FG.

If you look in options there is a manual dice roller which is exactly there for face to face play. You would do all attacks, damage saving throws etc using FG and the manual roller will intercept the action allowing you to manually input the result of the players dice roll. When you click Ok then the actio is finished giving you the result of the attach, save etc or inflicting wounds.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for your quick reply. I've just started experimenting with it today, and was planning to look through the settings wiki, so my apologies for that.

By the way, is there any way to automate the roll for the GM, and not the players? I see that I can click the button to roll, but is there any way to apply this automaticly for me? Just curious , I might also just start rolling myself, we'll see!

Yes. Instead of adding in numbers click the little dice icon on the right to tell FG to proceed with the roll as normal.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Yes. Instead of adding in numbers click the little dice icon on the right to tell FG to proceed with the roll as normal.
    YES!!! i never noticed that little die. Half of my players are family and sit in the same room as me rolling dice and the other half are remote players. I found it so annoying when I forgot to change from manual to auto dice. This is awesome. Thank you.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

And the 'On Demand Manual Dice Rolls' extension allow you to just hold 'ctrl' (I think) to activate manual dice input, but will auto-roll if 'ctrl' is not engaged. I use for my face to face games, it really helps and becomes second nature in no time.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Dice-(DM-only)

Quote Originally Posted by NoTimeLeft View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for your quick reply. I've just started experimenting with it today, and was planning to look through the settings wiki, so my apologies for that.

By the way, is there any way to automate the roll for the GM, and not the players? I see that I can click the button to roll, but is there any way to apply this automaticly for me? Just curious , I might also just start rolling myself, we'll see!
    We suggest getting a free class over at www.fantasygroundscollege.net

Thread Information