DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

What do people do to prevent button bashing?

Sometimes people do dumb things like bash a button multiple times which causes multiple things to happen over and over which can lead to bad things happening.

What is the general approach in FGU to guard against multiple button hits?

I've debated disabling the button while working - adding one of my dreaded true/false flags to say its busy - but I've been burned by outside forces crapping out in lua and leaving these things set because the function never completed.

So, what do others here do in xml/lua code on this button bashing prevention?
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    I'm not aware of anyone ever doing anything about it programmatically. Sounds like it's likely a user education thing, or a user attitude. Like most of those things, do you want to handle it with code, or a personal conversation?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I'm not aware of anyone ever doing anything about it programmatically. Sounds like it's likely a user education thing, or a user attitude. Like most of those things, do you want to handle it with code, or a personal conversation?

So be it then, I shall let the chips fall where they may. Or as an older statement said it...

Alea iacta est.

Blog Entries
    Lord Entrails often gives the advice to new GMs - during session 0 let the players roll as many dice as they want, push as many buttons as make them happy etc.
    Let them get it out of their system and then tell them the game has started now - please dont roll dice or spin your tokens or move other peoples tokens etc.4

Blog Entries
    Yes. And do understand I'm not really a dev. So my opinions are certainly colored by my experience.

As Damned says, I like to give new players a chance to play with the system. Like when my current group moved to FGU, I had a couple of times I had FGU up and running where the players could log in and play. They had tokens on a map with LOS, NPCs they could move around and find, and all that. I do something similar during session 0, let the players play with the UI and get it out of their system

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yes. And do understand I'm not really a dev. So my opinions are certainly colored by my experience.

As Damned says, I like to give new players a chance to play with the system. Like when my current group moved to FGU, I had a couple of times I had FGU up and running where the players could log in and play. They had tokens on a map with LOS, NPCs they could move around and find, and all that. I do something similar during session 0, let the players play with the UI and get it out of their system
    Well I decided to to at least make this extension I'm working on limited to when it's their turn (or they are the host). As I could see them driving the GM nuts without any control over its active use. No turn - no messing with the map/CT/NPCs/PCs

Blog Entries
    What does the extension do?
    I wrote Express Yourself recently and it allows you to use Emojis and other Scene Setting graphics in chat.
    You can allow players to use them or not and if you allow players to use them you can set a specific number and once a player uses her allotment up she just gets a polite message that has used them up and can ask the GM for more.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    What does the extension do?
    I wrote Express Yourself recently and it allows you to use Emojis and other Scene Setting graphics in chat.
    You can allow players to use them or not and if you allow players to use them you can set a specific number and once a player uses her allotment up she just gets a polite message that has used them up and can ask the GM for more.
    I'll probably put it out there in the next week so will keep it under wraps for now. Though i'm sure the questions I've asked over that period could lead one to guess. Point is its been 6 weeks and about 350 hours of work to get this into the shape it is now - and I'm probably going to get it packaged this week after my tester beats at it a bit more.

If you'd like to arrange a login to test it out also - let me know Gist is I like to make extensions on aspects of D&D 5E that have annoyed me in FGU. Think of the worst 6 related spell/powers for PC's and NPCs that involve the map/combat tracker/character sheets/NPC sheets and convoluted rules that are difficult to implement - and that is what I'm tackling. And I don't mean cosmetic tackling - I mean making the players and DM life simple allowing these aspects of the game to be implement and fully adhering the RAW rules on them. All of them. I may not fully resolve one of them but I've got the simple workflow to do it anyway.

Point is - I'll be able to use these freely without worry in the future as I as the DM will have to do practically nothing - same for the players.

As a pure side bonus it will finally support dropping the NPC CT link over the player icon in the upper left on the host machine to allow the NPC sheet to be used by the player - including end turn and targeting. You have no idea how having to do that for players annoyed me.

Any update? Pretty excited to see what you've made.
    CoreRPG hopefully?

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Any update? Pretty excited to see what you've made.
    CoreRPG hopefully?
    Sadly not, I pretty much design stuff I want for my use and that is FGU 5E. As it is paid I don’t think I can say more than that outside of the new paid for forums. But super long detailed description and video will satisfy any curiosity on it without having to spend anything and I’ll be happy to discuss any technical aspects in the paid for forums.

Thread Information