<library>
            <d20basicrules static="true">
                <name type="string">d20 Basic Rules</name>
                <categoryname type="string">d20 Essentials</categoryname>
                <entries>
                </entries>
            </d20basicrules static="true">
         </library>
    Does the d20basicrules tag need to match up to the name somehow?
    Also, how does the categoryname affect things?

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin-King
    Does the book appear on the left hand side when you activate the module?
    The module appears in the modules list, but once activated it does not appear in the library on the left.

If I do the exact same changes as before, but leave the ruleset tag pointing to the d20 ruleset, then it works 100%. I can only think of two possabilities which you would be able to eliminate for me.

1. The category has something to do with it.
    2. I missed a recordname reference which is still pointing back to the old module name - it could be possible that this could break it but still work in the d20 ruleset because the original module exists in the d20 ruleset.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth
    Does the d20basicrules tag need to match up to the name somehow?
    It should not matter as such, as long as the module is not named the same. If you do edit it, it's easy to forget to edit the closing tag way down at the bottom of the file though.

Also, how does the categoryname affect things?
    The category field defines the group in which the book appears on the left. It should be present and a valid string, but otherwise its value should not make a difference in whether you see it or not.

2. I missed a recordname reference which is still pointing back to the old module name - it could be possible that this could break it but still work in the d20 ruleset because the original module exists in the d20 ruleset.
    Any invalid recordname references in links should only break the link, not the entire module. The only exception to this is if you have some unescaped special characters that are not allowed in that position by the XML specification.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Alright... I think I figured out why I wasn't able to get these modules to show up. This was a relatively simple problem to fix once I figured out it was a problem.

When I initially extracted the contents of the .mod files to modify, they were put into a directory. I was then zipping up the directory and then renaming the .zip to .mod. Zipping up the entire directory is where I went wrong.

The fix (in my case) was this: Create a straight .zip file and then add the needed files into it (without any folder or subdirectory information inside the zip). Rename it to .mod and whuuuala... it shows up!

Wonder of wonders...

Man, this whole process could be greatly simplified if some code nut out there came up with a ruleset / charsheet editor...

Do you know much of a pain in the ... behind... formatted text fields have been for me?!

You'll be happy to know I've fixed it! While parsing the file I make a lot of assumptions - like that its nicely formatted. I strip off leading tabs, then judge what to do with each line - anything that doesnt start with a < is assumed to be some kind of value (ie. the value of a formatted text) and the rest of the lines are just dumped into a buffer until the end tag is found. (You know what they say about assumptions...)

Anyway, in the d20basicrules.mod > client.xml ... around the <appraise> skill reference, the formatting of the file goes a bit funny - ie. the tags have leading spaces, instead of leading tabs, and the formattedtext contains newlines etc. This was causing my parsing to go haywire.

The module now loads into the ruleset perfectly.

To get back to the original topic - these are the steps I took to get this right:
    1. Copy the d20 ruleset from the examples folder to the rulesets folder, and rename it to d20_WOT.
    2. Extract the module you want to modify to a temp folder.
    3. Modify the extract definition.xml file, changing the name, author and ruleset.
    Code:
    <root>
    	<name>d20 Wheel of Time Basic Rules</name>
    	<author>Me</author>
    	<ruleset>d20_WOT</ruleset>
    </root>
    Make sure the ruleset value you enter here is the same as the ruleset name in step 1. (d20_WOT)

4. Modify the db.xml or client.xml file.
    - Update the library name field...
    Code:
    <name type="string">d20 Wheel of Time Basic Rules</name>
    - Updates the recordname fields. Eg.
    [CODE]<recordname>reference.skills.appraise@d20 Wheel of Time Basic Rules</recordname>

5. Re-package (zip) the definition.xml, db.xml/client.xml and thumbnail.png files.
    6. Open FGII, create a new campaign using the d20_WOT ruleset.
    7. Open the Modules window.
    8. Activate the module by dragging the book icon open.
    9. Open the library...

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo
    Man, this whole process could be greatly simplified if some code nut out there came up with a ruleset / charsheet editor...
    Its called RuleForge, and its on it's way.

See this thread for more info:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=5764

Thread Information