5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Two instances of Fantasy Grounds Unity on Windows 10

I am attempting to open a second instance of FGU to run one as a GM host and the second as a player to test out combat scenarios, etc.

When I try to launch a second instance of FGU in Win10 the FGUUpdaterEngine reads "We have detected that FG is currently running. To avoid errors in the update process, please close FG."

Anyone have a work around for this? Thanks.

Once you have started the first instance (which should be set as a LAN game) right click over the Unity icon on the task bar and select Fantasy Grounds in order to start the second one. And join the first using 'localhost' in the join by information.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Mr. Z's solution works.

Or, ...

Sounds like your shortcut is pointing to the updater, if instead it points to FantasyGrounds.exe then you can start a second instance. You just can't run the updater when you are running another instance (FGC or FGU).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ahh yes, somehow I managed to make the updater my shortcut. I’ll fix that and report back...

Alright - Once I got my launcher set to the .exe instead of the updater it was a non-issue. I wonder how that even happened in the first place...anyhow, thanks!

Ok looks like I am reviving an old thread, but I intend to stream a campaign on Twitch, I would like to stream the players view, not the DM view. I had considered running 1 instance of FGU as DM allowing my players to connect to the campaign (they will be doing so via internet, as this is not a local game). Opening a second instance as a player and using this as the source that I will be streaming. So I am open to suggestions on how to best do this. If there is another thread here that discusses how others may be handling streaming FGU I don't mind be pointed in that direction. As always, Thanks.

This is an old thread as you say.

You can run two instances on the same computer. Once you start the first instance right click on the FGU icon on the task bar and select Fantasy Grounds to start the second instance. To join use either localhost in the join by IP address box, if the first instance is a LAN game; or type in your username into the Join by DM box if your first instance is a Cloud game and then click start.

You can have the second instance on a second screen so that you can stream that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post

You can run two instances on the same computer. Once you start the first instance right click on the FGU icon on the task bar and select Fantasy Grounds to start the second instance. To join use either localhost in the join by IP address box, if the first instance is a LAN game; or type in your username into the Join by DM box if your first instance is a Cloud game and then click start.

You can have the second instance on a second screen so that you can stream that.
    Thanks for the quick reply I was hoping it was really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post

This doesnt work for me. When I right click on the FGU icon on the task bar I just get "close window"

Quote Originally Posted by Battlewear View Post
    This doesnt work for me. When I right click on the FGU icon on the task bar I just get "close window"
    Make sure that the first instance is running a fully loaded campaign before doing the right click. I can't offer you any more unfortunately since I don't know what intricacies there could be in your windows set up.

Thread Information