FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    One of my players uses a MacBook Pro as well and in Sunday's game his CPU went up to 790%. It seemed that as the session progressed his CPU usage also went up. We were playing in Dungeon of the Mad Mage so the maps there are big and there's a lot of LoS. It did seem that the increase in CPU was related to the LoS as the players moved through the map and revealed more. He hit the 790% mark just about as we ended after about 3-4 hours.

His specs are:
    OS Mojave 10.14.5
    Processor 3,9Ghz Core Intel i9
    Mempry 32 Gb
    Graphics Radeon Pro 560X 4Gb
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 Mb
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Holy crap. How was his machine able to make it through the game?

Was it an old MacBook Pro?

Well he has 9 cores so he was using about 8 of them with each each core running at about 95%.

And no it's not old.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Can you find out what year model his MBP is?

Never mind. Saw the specs

Your friend has almost the same machine as I do. Mine runs FGU decently. Ask him to upgrade to Catalina maybe.

It's 2 years old. And yes, the next step is to upgrade. I have had a few issues with people connecting to Unity so we've only recently moved over from Classic so he's been holding off upgrading his OS for that reason. But since we've had no connection issues this last few weeks I think it's time to take the plunge.

Very interesting that it is spread across multiple cores so heavily. I've forwarded that tidbit on to Carl to think about. FGU is mostly single threaded (due to Unity UI requirements, and ruleset/Lua interactions requiring single threading); but there are several places where we use multi-threading to help (loading, networking, LoS/FoW, ...).

Thanks,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Other posts on heavy Mac cpu load show 300% usage on a quad core cpu.
    Interesting that it is using all but one core when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Very interesting that it is spread across multiple cores so heavily. I've forwarded that tidbit on to Carl to think about. FGU is mostly single threaded (due to Unity UI requirements, and ruleset/Lua interactions requiring single threading); but there are several places where we use multi-threading to help (loading, networking, LoS/FoW, ...).

Thanks,
    JPG

You might be on to something about the single core FGU usage!

Moon Wizard:

So I am trying to troubleshoot the problematic MBP (the 2013 one) right now. Launched the same exact campaign, shared the same images and ran the same maps. The laptop is sitting at a constant 55% CPU usage and 30% GPU throughout the whole thing!

I don't understand why it is suddenly working perfectly? There were some updates that I did just before starting the test, but I think those updates were for the modules, and not FGU itself. This old MBP is running in line with my newer MBP, and the CPU/GPU usages (for FGU) are on par, almost. This is so weird.
    Did you guys change something last night?

I'm gonna keep testing to try and make it spike to 300% again. Just wanted to mention the above.
    Last edited by qdwag; August 12th, 2020 at 06:40.

Thread Information