FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Kineticist in Fantasy Grounds

Anyone have exactly how one could create a Kineticist character in fantasy grounds to take advantage of Fantasy ground's functions? So far I'm just hobbing together manually

What are you looking for?
    If you are talking about just dragging in something where everything works this is not something you can do. You will have to create several things manually (depending on what automation you want). I dont think there is much premade for kinetecists

How do you do that... If that is needed to does not explain how AT ALL. Also, Why is that needed? Can that functionallity not be added to FGU? I created a spreadsheet years ago which does all the burn cost/damage calculations for when I was playing one at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Taran Eilonwy View Post
    How do you do that... If that is needed to does not explain how AT ALL. Also, Why is that needed? Can that functionallity not be added to FGU? I created a spreadsheet years ago which does all the burn cost/damage calculations for when I was playing one at the table.
    Moon Wizard answered you in the bug thread about that I do not know what a kineticist is, but essentially you have to create an action/spell class in the "actions" tab of your PC sheet Then add the actions you need; if you click on the book in the upper left of the spell class you can switch between prepared, spontaneous and "mana point classes" You probably need the last one, I think?

About how to do this specifically: What is your background on FG? Your first time with FG, or do you already know how to add a spell/action to your character sheet?

(and yes, one could code something like this, but it is always a matter of priority; and for PF1/3.5E it is a bottomless pit once one starts to fully automate character generation for all classes plus homebrew )

It is my first time trying to use a FGU for a Campaign. I tried to add "Kinetic Blast" using the "add weapon/spell" button. It did not allow me to do several key features of a Kineticist, namely; I cannot do infusions at all (adaptations to kinetic blast) and I cannot tell FGU that "Energy" Blasts (Kinetic Blast - Cold) targets Touch AC AND is subject to Spell Resistance.

I can provide more specific examples... but I dont understand how these BASIC functions of a Kineticist are not included in the module.

EDIT: It wont even let me select the 1d6 (i can see dice in the damage section of the added weapon... but I cannot select them)
    Last edited by Taran Eilonwy; December 29th, 2021 at 04:29.

It is my first time trying to use a FGU for a Campaign. I tried to add "Kinetic Blast" using the "add weapon/spell" button. It did not allow me to do several key features of a Kineticist, namely; I cannot do infusions at all (adaptations to kinetic blast) and I cannot tell FGU that "Energy" Blasts (Kinetic Blast - Cold) targets Touch AC AND is subject to Spell Resistance.

I can provide more specific examples... but I dont understand how these BASIC functions of a Kineticist are not included in the module.

EDIT: It wont even let me select the 1d6 (i can see dice in the damage section of the added weapon... but I cannot select them)
    Here also my answer from the bug report thread: Could you shortly say what your abilities do? Then we can try to provide help how to add these abilities (I have sadly no idea about kineticists and never really heard of them)

About touch for weapons: Add touch as property to the weapon, then it will be a touch weapon If it is a short-time effect (like just for the next attack), then click the modifier window (the plus/minus button at upper right) and there is a touch modifier button

In your case, touch for spells: You have to add it as spell; once you have done this (or do you have problems with this?), add a "cast action" to the spell by right-clicking on it Then you will see a new line, the cast action, and magnifying glass on the very right of the cast action Click on this and you can set certain settings like whether it is affected by spell resistance and whether it is a touch spell

What do you mean with the d6? You can drag&drop the d6 die below the chat to the damage line to add this die (with right-clicking on the die or while you are holding the die you can also add more d6 )

Beware, 3.5E has no open license (because of Wizards of the Coast's restrictions), so, there cannot be modules with that already put up, hence we need to do it ourselves. But FG provides many of needed automation, one just needs to know how. A good source is the wiki, for example click the question marks in the upper rights of a window to get to its wiki entry for information. Or ask here as you did right now

By the way, if you use discord, then join https://discordapp.com/invite/Ew6nYyw, the FG academy, we can also help there (usually quicker) The official discord is here https://discord.gg/YtBNvva6
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 29th, 2021 at 10:25.

Couple of things!

1. This should have been posted in the 1E pathfinder forum as this is a 1E pathfinder class. We (the forum as a whole) would be more easily able to help you if things are posted in the correct places as we probably rarely check other forums.

2. As has been stated in many, many places... this is just a medium to play the games, ie VTT (Virtual TableTop). built in automation is left minimal as rules and classes tend to change and/or get spat out in rapid fire manor. That being said I do understand that 1E really isnt getting new rules anymore. You may have to look thru modules and extensions to find the functionality that you are looking for.

If I have enough time, I'll put a basic kineticist module together with the basic abilities. If you are looking to learn how to FG this yourself, I can also help walk you thru this on discord and answer any questions I can there.

(This assumes you have not made changes to FG)
    Also, to set up a basic kinetic blast, you would have to:
    1. Create a spell class for Kineticist. To do this, click the add spell class on the bottom right of the character sheet on the Abilities tab.
    2. Select the expand button at the end of the new line. It looks like an eyeglass. It should expand the spell class window.
    3. CL stands for caster level but can also be treated as character levels for any ability in this spell class. Make sure you update this to the characters current kineticist level, especially after level ups.
    4. Type a 1 in the box under the number 0 on the level line. This indicates that the spell class has spells in the level zero category. Remember that level 0 can be used unlimitedly and won't be accidently hid if mode or summary is changed.
    5. Toggle the Ability box to Con, as your SR checks are made off Constitution. If they have any extra spell penetration for other sources, add it up and put it in the box. Click the eyeglass again to minimize the heading box.
    6. Create a new spell by right clicking on level 0 line UNDER the spell class windows. Name it whatever... probably Kinetic blast.
    7. Right Click said spell to get the radial. Select the arrow pointing down-ish. (Add Spell action) then select the sword (Add Cast).
    8. Select the expand button at the end of the new line. This time, it should open up a new window.
    9. Under the attack heading, press the button to cycle until you get to R Touch. (Stands for Ranged Touch). Close this window.
    10. Right Click said spell again, select add spell action again, but this time pick the teardrop (Add Damage). Expand this.
    11. Take the d6 off your dice row and drag it into the damage section. This should create a new line in the box.
    12. Toggle the box next to the d6 until it reads Odd CLs (Odd caster levels) so the dice will always increase on odd caster levels (1, 3, 5, etc). The damage has no cap on caster levels so ignore the first max box.
    13. Ignore the first box after the + sign. It will assume 0 if you don't fill out any of the rest of the line or one if you toggle the box after it, which we are. Toggle that box to Odd CLs. (This represents the 1d6+1 damage per level).
    14. On the type line, type out the damage type. make sure you spell the damage type correctly as DR and Resists check for exact wording. Add commas between if multiple damage types.
    15. On the damage heading line, click the add item button so it makes another line. On this line, we only care about the 2nd toggle box and that needs to be the stat that is affecting your damage. On base kineticist, this will be Constitution. Toggle to Con. Type line will be the exact same damage type as the first.
    16. Close this box.
    17. Congrats! You have successfully built the base kinetic blast ability. To use this ability, you would use the attack button under the spell to determine hits. The CLC (caster level check) button would determine SR (if needed) and the damage button would fire off the damage and does not have to be continuously adjusted like it would if you made it a weapon instead. Just remember to make sure the CL box is the kineticist level and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Phixation; December 31st, 2021 at 23:07.

First off... Thank you for the reply and the education on how some of the features work. I will test this as soon as I am able (it seems sorta simple).

I did not realize this was 3.5 when I replied I was trying to find answers to the problem I was having with the "Occult Adventures" module which I bought fro FGU. Which does not have ANY apparent support for the Kineticist (a Class introduced in that module).

ok... So I (or my players) have to do FIFTEEN STEPS to add a CORE feature of the class? Then why am I paying for the module?? Cause it sounds like you are saying I need to build every part of the Kineticist Class from the ground up in order to play the class after I bought the module which contains the class. How is this NOT in incomplete (bugged) module?

First off... Thank you for the reply and the education on how some of the features work. I will test this as soon as I am able (it seems sorta simple).

I did not realize this was 3.5 when I replied I was trying to find answers to the problem I was having with the "Occult Adventures" module which I bought fro FGU. Which does not have ANY apparent support for the Kineticist (a Class introduced in that module).

ok... So I (or my players) have to do FIFTEEN STEPS to add a CORE feature of the class? Then why am I paying for the module?? Cause it sounds like you are saying I need to build every part of the Kineticist Class from the ground up in order to play the class after I bought the module which contains the class. How is this NOT in incomplete (bugged) module?
    Purchasable modules "only" provide the data, but not the automation FG is automisable, but the user needs to do build up the automation; no other ruleset and VTT (as far as I know) would automatically set up all possible actions with automation. (Except the basic ones like saves, attack rolls etc., which are already in your sheet) The reason is simply that characters can be pretty complex and it takes a loooot of time to code a program setting-up all possible actions automatically. Hence, the devs of FG instead decided to provide a toolbox for the user which they can use to set up automated actions Then there is also the "effects' system" providing automation for damage reduction, resistance, immunity, damage bonuses and so on

So, think of FG rather as a tool which provides you something to automate; you can compare this with "macro systems" of other vtts, where users create all sort of macros to automate stuff which is not already set-up in the sheet itself VTT companies are usually very small such that they have to allocate their resources, and then it makes actually sense that one first rather codes a toolbox which the users can use to automate things rather than hardcoding everything like a computer game. The advantage over computer games is then the ability for customization and homebrew

That said, these 15 steps actually do not take a lot of time; it may feel overwhelming first, but it is actually pretty fast once one understood the structure

Moreover, there are community modules, like here https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/cra...1/view-profile or see also here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules

(the former link actually sends you to the forge where you can search for all possible things for 3.5E/PF1; I just linked to a user who provides a lot of modules which may also cover kineticists )

And the official modules, like the one you purchased, may also already provide what you want: If you drag&drop a spell/action from the library sidebar into your PC sheet, then it often creates all the buttons needed for automation (you can edit these, too). Either hardcoded or some automatic parser creates the automation (though the parser may have some flaws) In that case you actually do not need to set up anything, but the dev of this module needs to chime in and clarify whether they coded it, because I cannot look into the module

I hear you... But it doesn't provide the data for the Kineticist. Unless I am looking in the wrong place. Possible... But I have checked in spells, special abilities, items, and effects and I cannot find any Kineticist data except for four abilities relating to the Blood Kineticist (which dont actually do anything as there is no way to apply these combat effects in combat).

Oh well... Is there any way I can get some help in adding some (IMO) fairly advanced abilities to the class?

Or alternatively, give me some GM abilities so I can add the effects so the player doesnt need to worry about it as much...

I would be very willing to put in the time need to make this class work... I dont currently have the knowledge of FGU to do so.
    Last edited by Taran Eilonwy; February 4th, 2022 at 15:48.

Thread Information