5E Character Create Playlist

Just trying out FantasyGrounds Unity on my Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, the experience has been pretty painful so far. The interface is not responsive. If you scroll a list with the trackpad, FantasyGrounds seems to drop about half the scroll events and then does weird "chunked" scrolling, where it jumps the scrollbar a little bit each time you scroll (no native applications behave this way). Other UI interactions also have a very noticeable delay -- if you drag a window, there's a couple hundred milliseconds before it starts moving. This is all stuff that doesn't detract from the *functionality* of the product, but it makes it pretty unpleasant to use.

You might want to share what year of macbook pro it is, because they have been making macbook pros for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    You might want to share what year of macbook pro it is, because they have been making macbook pros for a long time.
    Yes, and as it turns out, if your Macbook Pro is older than about 5 years old, it will likely have issues running FGU. It's a GPU thing not a CPU thing - and mostly how much graphics memory it has.

It MUST be a 64-bit MacBook Pro right out the gate. (Which puts my 2006 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air (2008?) out of the running.

FGU Macbook recommendations: (from the developers)
    Memory: 4GB min, 8GB recommended
    Disk: 2GB-20GB (depending on DLC purchases)
    Graphics: DX10 support (Windows only,) Video memory (2GB min, 4GB recommended)

I have a variety of Macs. My experience is different from yours. I just tested my early 2013 13" Macbook Pro with FGU. I had no problems scrolling and using LOS. I also had it roll 500 d20s and the dice animation was smooth. This is all greatly improved compared to the early beta. Back in Dec 2019 everything was sluggish and the fans would run non stop. So, I see a lot of improvement and I am very satisfied with FGU ability to run on older Macs.
    FGU Ultimate License
    FG Discord - Lord_Ulric
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Playing -
    Starfinder, D&D, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Hero System aka Champions, Traveller, and more!
    My Forge Creations

It also might have something to do with using the trackpad vs. an external mouse. We've had some sporadic reports of certain users with trackpads having mouse issues; but none with external mice.

Regards,
    JPG

The Mac version of FGU works super well for me. MBP 15" 2019 here.

Yeah, this is because Unity implements a fake version of scrolling which is based on how it works in Windows (it scrolls the screen area in discrete chunks). You won't notice this with a mouse because that gets you a more Windows-like experience anyway, but it's awful with a trackpad.

FWIW Unity's new UI framework (UIToolkit) has a better scrollview implementation.

ive had alot of players who were on mac and the ability to zoom and scroll was very difficult for them. because everything is on a right click its hard for them to do most things. i just thought this feedback could be valuable.

Thread Information