STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    Guys, I hate to say this but the "easy" solution is don't put grids on your maps. Use FG's grids only, that is the easiest fix. It really is not worth your effort or bandwidth to get "perfect" grids on a map.
    That's what I do. I create maps in Dundjinni and CC3 and leave the grid off. I do however make sure there's a map scale device on the map. When I get into FG, I just draw the grid on top of the map scale device so I know it's the right size.

Sir Bayard, is it too much to ask for the psd document you made that one time that only has the grid on it, the one that you use as a template for all of your other maps? You say that it has the right dimensions, and if you put so much time into it, i would feel good if it helped others

Sure. They're all mostly in PSD files, since I use Photoshop to do most of my stuff. I took and zipped all my templates together, there are a few jpeg ones in there for non-photoshop users (The .jpeg was the output from AutoRealm so I could make the Photoshop files from)

There are templates for 25x25 and 50x50. The 50x50 are labled 50Template, the 25x25 are just like Template. There are also multiple sizes, where I combined the smaller templates into larger ones, so there are like 50LargeTemnplate (which is 2 combined) and 50HugeTemplate (which is 4 combined). After I finish drawing out my map in Photoshop, I just crop the map part to what I need. Here's the file:
    Templates

I warn you, it's large because there's a lot of diff templates and they are the original PSD files, wihch are way larger than a normal picture.
    "Excellence can be attained if you Care more than others think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical, and Expect more than others think is possible." - Author Unknown.

I was not aware that all those features relied on the Grid being down. I will have to play with this when I get home.
    And yes I am using premade maps. but... I like the idea of a templet so the grid will always work.
    "Hello! My name is Inego Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!"
    "Will you stop saying that!"

The ability to align grid would be nice. You could select a menu that would allow you to move the grid around after it was drawn.

I'm not sure align grid would be a cure all unless they allow non interger numbers but it would be nice for me. I have been known to have to try serveral times to make the grid even close on a map that already has lines. Mostly I use maps without lines if I can.

Sir Bayard, that really worked. It took me a little while, but i like to use my own lines. So I basically used the line tool to draw right on top of the grid you laid out.

The REASON the grid doesn't line up though, is that I was not accounting for the grid lines' WIDTH. So basically, when I drew out my grid in photoshop, I measured the square. The inside of the square should be 24px, the outside was 26px. The exact 25 pixel grid included only one side of the grid square's 1px line width. I know that sounds a little confusing but after zooming 700% on the screen grab you made of a blank grid and measuring them out, it all made sense.

Now there's no need to worry. Just lay the grid down once and we're golden!

Btw, I usually draft my maps out on graph paper (still, i know), then i scan them and use them as an underlay for plopping textures and things on top. I use a mask for my grid layer (and all my texture layers) so I can easily update (if I need a hall somewhere, for instance, in between sessions, I can easily do it without all the erasing and redrawing). After I scan the underlay, I just resize the grid of the graph paper to match the grid in my file. Voila. It was all working without using the grid function in FG, but now with all the great features, and your help, I can have my cake and eat it too.

rock on.

It does sound a little confusing, but I think I understand what you were saying :P Glad it was able to help out out a little. I do all kinds of thigns off that base template, and I was thinking while I was zipping them of drawing a new grid layer on top of the one there, then deleting the original to have a transparent grid that could be plopped onto any random map and work. but, right now I'm buy trying to do a complete re-design and overhaul of my website, so probably won't get around to it.

Me, I'm not good enough at all the fancy map drawing programs out there, so I use the line tool in Photoshop and just draw out some old school maps on that grid there. usually I draw it out on Graph Paper, and then I just recreate it in Photoshop once I'm done. But, a transparent layer grid would be nice to have if I ever could figure out how to draw a decent detailed map to just drop on top of and go. lol

Again, glad to help out even if just a little bit.
    "Excellence can be attained if you Care more than others think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical, and Expect more than others think is possible." - Author Unknown.

well if you, or anyone would like some guidance on how to use masks or anyting in photoshop, I am available to help. Please just ask, I would also be happy to send psd files for examples.

Thread Information