DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

OSRIC conversion for 2E

It turns out that legally sharing our homemade adventure modules with each other is difficult if it relies on licensed 2E content (such as PHB spells, MM monsters, etc), so for the purely selfish reasons of hoping I end up seeing some homemade modules posted that I can then shamelessly steal and use in my game, I've decided to convert OSRIC for the 2E ruleset. Note that this is meant to be played in 2E... it's not a separate "OSRIC" ruleset. I have seen that there was some other OSRIC content community mods in the past, but I think they were meant to be used with an OSRIC extension that changes how the 2E ruleset plays. This is not meant to change any of the rules of the 2e ruleset or how the game plays... it's just a different set of data than what you'd get from the 2E Player's Handbook or Monstrous Manual.

I've converted all of the races, classes, weapons, armor, spells, and monsters from the OSRIC core rules into a module. I had planned to do the Monsters of Myth book as well, but after looking at the license on it I'm not entirely sure I can do that legally. So for now I've abandoned that plan.

Note: AlterZwerg has created a module for the OSRIC magic items, available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...IC-Magic-Items

This is all free for anyone to use, obviously. It follows the same license as OSRIC, and I'm not a lawyer, but I think that basically means you can use it in your published content (free or even for money) so long as you include the license and attribution. If you're going to sell any content you make using spells/monsters/etc from this, though, don't trust my word for it... look into that yourself.

It's worth looking at the "Conversion Notes (a.k.a., "Why did he do it this way?")" Story entry in the module. It explains many of the decisions I had to make when making this compatible with the 2E ruleset (like how to deal with ambiguous rules, calculate XP values, etc).

I am certain that typos and probably some fat-fingered stats ended up in there here and there. For a lot of the typos, they're a result of how copy and pasting from the OSRIC PDF formatted text... it would occasionally inserted extra spaces or have a few other weird problems. I am unlikely to go through and take the time to remove extra white spaces here and there (usually right before a period at the end of a paragraph, or for some reason after the letters "fi"). That said, feel free to drop me a list of them and I'll correct them eventually in a big batch.

If you see more serious problems, like stat or automation errors, I'll handle those and post updates more quickly.

UPDATE: The attached file in this thread will not be updated. To make sure you have the latest version of the module, it would be best to subscribe to it on The Forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/79/view
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sterno; October 7th, 2021 at 04:44.

This is a monumental task. After doing the PHB/DMG/MM I know just how much work it is. Thanks for taking it on!

This could legally be used to convert OSRIC adventures (like the Advanced Adventures) for FG.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

One more note... I'm also developing an extension that adds various bits of extra automation and house rules to the 2E ruleset. You might see some text in the "properties" field on armor or weapons that make no sense to you. That's because they're for use by my extension. If you aren't using the extension, they'll have no impact on your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post

Please let me know if you have any feedback or see things to correct, or want to help out (such as converting magic items).
    I want to help out as long it does not involve too much effect coding...cause i just don t get it...unfortunately. Happy to do the donkey work though.

BTW Can someone make a program/mod/ext/whatever with drop down menu for making effects that i just need to copy paste or even better a magical item/spell creator with built in effect coding? pretty please...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkwind View Post
    has this not already been done once https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Classes-part-2 ?
    That only had 5 classes, no items, no spells, and no NPCs. This is meant to cover everything (though I'm still working on the NPCs). It also said it was for use with the 1E extension, so I wasn't sure if that would have an effect on the way the data was input (my guess is, for the classes, it doesn't matter).

The end goal here is to give a DM everything they need for content that can then be shared (because of the licensing differences between OSRIC and 2E) or sold.

This started because I had started converting some Advanced Adventures on my own for use in 2E. Then I heard that FG had the rights to sell some of those, but the sold conversions can't contain any links to the 2E PHB or MM data. I personally am not looking to sell any of those modules, but this might help those who do want to convert and sell them. It also bugged me that if I made a cool adventure, I couldn't actually share it with the community if it contained Monstrous Manual NPCs or PHB spells and items. This gets around that (though the For Gold and Glory conversion will be an even better fit for that case, as it's basically reskinned AD&D 2e, whereas OSRIC is more like AD&D 1e reskinned).

And, eventually, I plan to convert The Halls of of Arden Vul for my own use, and this is a necessary first step for that.
    Last edited by Sterno; July 29th, 2020 at 14:03.

monsters spells and items are in post 2 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...D-Core-Ruleset the remaining classes in post 1

that said the first bunch of classes are done very basically in the pre official days of the rule set but the monster mod is useful source for all those monsters that got dropped from 2e. I'm not even sure the first edition extension even works anymore
    Last edited by hawkwind; July 29th, 2020 at 18:28.

Nice! I just took a look and there was a lot there! I haven't gone over it in a ton of detail but it looked like a lot of spell effects, damage buttons, and monster effects were missing though. Dragons seem to be missing powers like their breath weapons, etc.

I'm a big fan of automation so definitely want that.

I'm not sure whether the best path forward is to somehow merge these efforts or just keep them separate. What are you feelings about it, Hawkwind?
    Last edited by Sterno; July 29th, 2020 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
    Nice! I just took a look and there was a lot there! I haven't gone over it in a ton of detail but it looked like a lot of spell effects, damage buttons, and monster effects were missing though. Dragons seem to be missing powers like their breath weapons, etc.

I'm a big fan of automation so definitely want that.

I'm not sure whether the best path forward is to somehow merge these efforts or just keep them separate. What are you feelings about it, Hawkwind?
    Having all the effects tied to spells, powers, npcs and items will be instrumental in giving it the automation that is currently in the 2E content.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

If the idea is to make 2E sharable, why use OSRIC as the base for the data and not For Gold & Glory, since FG&G is the OGL implementation of 2E specifically?

Obviously you've already started the work, so I'm not suggesting a change mid-stream, just curious why you're implementing 1E instead of 2E data.

Thread Information