5E Character Create Playlist
Page 52 of 104 First ... 242505152535462102 ... Last
    Hi, I have been DMing a game for my friends in Classic FG (with Ultimate licence, no extensions) and I wanted to add to the discussion here by reporting a bug concerning the levelling up of the bard class. One of my players got the following error when he tried to level up his bard:

Script Error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_invlist.lua"]:33: bad argument #-1 to 'setValue' (number expected, got string)

He clicked through it and just proceded with the game as if nothing wrong happened. And things seemed to work out well enough. His HP was increased properly and he got the special skills a bard gets at 2nd level so everything seemed fine apart from that one error.

He's now at level 5 and says that he had more troubles during levelling but simply fixed this by manually adding whatever was missing. The biggest issue now is that his spells and abilities give the wrong DC save. The wizard appears to subtly corrupt the character file every time it is used.

My other players had similar experiences at their levelling up. Classes involved were the (bladesinger) wizard, (circle of the moon) druid and (horizon walker) ranger.

I have now manually recreated the bard and levelled up by the old-style method of dragging the class onto the level and then adding the new spells and such, and that seems to work as it should. For now I think I will have to ask my players not to use the character wizard to prevent this corruption of their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathilion View Post
    Hi, I have been DMing a game for my friends in Classic FG (with Ultimate licence, no extensions) and I wanted to add to the discussion here by reporting a bug concerning the levelling up of the bard class. One of my players got the following error when he tried to level up his bard:

Script Error: [string "charwizard/scripts/charwizard_invlist.lua"]:33: bad argument #-1 to 'setValue' (number expected, got string)

He clicked through it and just proceded with the game as if nothing wrong happened. And things seemed to work out well enough. His HP was increased properly and he got the special skills a bard gets at 2nd level so everything seemed fine apart from that one error.

He's now at level 5 and says that he had more troubles during levelling but simply fixed this by manually adding whatever was missing. The biggest issue now is that his spells and abilities give the wrong DC save. The wizard appears to subtly corrupt the character file every time it is used.

My other players had similar experiences at their levelling up. Classes involved were the (bladesinger) wizard, (circle of the moon) druid and (horizon walker) ranger.

I have now manually recreated the bard and levelled up by the old-style method of dragging the class onto the level and then adding the new spells and such, and that seems to work as it should. For now I think I will have to ask my players not to use the character wizard to prevent this corruption of their characters.
    Thanks for the report Nathilion, I am working on getting a fix out for the spell DC bug right now and it should be out soon. (along with a number of other issues)

So I'm trying to create a homebrew wizard archetype. Now, the old way was to just create another Wizard class and add everything specific to the new subclass/archetype on that. With the drag and drop method, it would bring up the official archetypes and the new archetype no problem. However, in the character wizard, not only is it a separate class choice, but it also doesn't work when leveling at all. It gives me the choice for the custom archetype(and only the custom archetype), but after I save, the archetype is not listed in abilities and none of the archetype specific features are there either. The old drag and drop kind of works, though it doubles the archetype choice ability. This wouldn't be an issue, except my players aren't tech savvy enough to remember how to bring up the class options now that their not in the library anymore and are relying on the character wizard more and more for leveling. Luckily, the stacking spell slots bug has been fixed.

This is a similar issue to one last year I noticed, where even official classes' subclasses weren't being added to the character sheet while using the wizard. Which is why I only recently even started using the wizard. But now that I have players wanting to try homebrew subclasses, the wizard is becoming an issue again and It's a real headache. All of my official supplements merge well with phb material, but none of the custom ones do. I even created a new custom race with simple archetypes and archetype related features to see if it would work, and the wizard still didn't add any of the archetype choices automatically. The drag and Drop did, so I know I created it properly.

*Edit*
    OK, so after further testing. If I create the character at a level equal to or higher than the archetype, it adds the archetype's features up to the level created, but fails to add the archetype itself to the Features section of the abilities tab. This makes it so when I go to level the character, none of the other features that require the chosen archetype are added through the wizard. So I know that they're done correctly, because it works some of the time, so this is definitely a bug. If I drag and drop the class in the old ways, it works perfectly, however, as stated above, my players have difficulty with that now that the character options have been removed from the library.

I did notice that the wizard also fails to add the official archetypes to the Features section now too, however, the official classes still work when leveling through the wizard. I have also added the archetype to the Features section manually on the custom class and used the wizard to no avail. The then tried leveling up the drag and drop method until I got the choice to choose an archetype, which added the archetype and features properly and then used the wizard for higher levels and it doesn't add the archetype's higher level features that way.
    Last edited by Cobra; June 16th, 2021 at 23:56.

Unless you go into the xml and change the way the data is stored for Homebrew subclasses they won’t show up if you use the class from the PHB or any other module. You’ll need to export your classes to a module and have your players only use that module if you want them to use the classes properly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Unless you go into the xml and change the way the data is stored for Homebrew subclasses they won’t show up if you use the class from the PHB or any other module. You’ll need to export your classes to a module and have your players only use that module if you want them to use the classes properly.
    I've tried that, the wizard doesn't work properly with any custom classes or subclasses. My original post has been edited to hopefully clarify the bug. I have no issue if they have to select the correct 'custom' class to get the options they want, but the wizard just doesn't add the archetypes for anything custom, even if its a new class that doesn't exist in the official books. I've even copied an official class, exported it, then imported it as a custom MOD, and I only had the copy version in my library loaded. I then used the wizard and it still didn't add any of the archetype features when leveling, it only them if I created the character at a high enough level to have them, and then it wouldn't add the additional features when leveling through the wizard. Unless you don't want the wizard to work at all with custom content, this is definitely a bug.

*Edit*
    Leveling wizard isn't working properly for official either. It will add the official archetype features when you reach the level of choosing an archetype, but it isn't adding the higher archetype level features if I save and level again. it only adds the features when I choose the archetype, up to what ever level I did that level up. so one step better than what it does with custom classes. I got confused earlier, because the official classes have base class features while my test custom class didn't. So I thought they were getting all their features on level up, but alas, they weren't getting the archetype features still.
    Last edited by Cobra; June 17th, 2021 at 00:33.

Thanks for your response. Is this something I could contact the 3rd party to look into or is it out of their control?

Error reported in log when increasing to level 5 as DND 5e_Rogue_ArcaneTrickster

SUPPORT-12630 Error reported in log when increasing to level 5 as DND 5e_Rogue_ArcaneTrickster (Reported Bug, diverted here for better resolve)
    Recently upgraded to FGU from FGC. Re-creating Rogue from Level 1 through 13. at level 5 have error encountered in Character Wizard when adding in magic abilities. Logs and character export provided. I did have one extension loaded. I unloaded and restarted FGU interface. (FILES 1 & 2)

ALSO: Have created a new campaign with CORE only 5e DND. Created another PC, level 1 only , proceeded to set up cantrips and got same error. Also attached logs as well. (FILES 3
    & 4)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    FG: Classic Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .(Upgraded to Unity, just waiting)
    Timezone: EDT/GMT-4 - (OHIO, USA)
    Currently Running: NONE [D&D 5e focused only]
    Current Project: To learn the mechanical platform by creating 1 day adventures from donated authors, then DM same for new users.
    FG User Profile - The Short: Navy Vet, Only plays 2 main games, wants to do more in his career of Security.

Quote Originally Posted by claycub View Post
    SUPPORT-12630 Error reported in log when increasing to level 5 as DND 5e_Rogue_ArcaneTrickster (Reported Bug, diverted here for better resolve)
    Recently upgraded to FGU from FGC. Re-creating Rogue from Level 1 through 13. at level 5 have error encountered in Character Wizard when adding in magic abilities. Logs and character export provided. I did have one extension loaded. I unloaded and restarted FGU interface. (FILES 1 & 2)

ALSO: Have created a new campaign with CORE only 5e DND. Created another PC, level 1 only , proceeded to set up cantrips and got same error. Also attached logs as well. (FILES 3
    & 4)
    Thanks claycub for the detailed report. I'll try to get this included in the upcoming update.

Quote Originally Posted by FG_Wraith View Post
    Thanks claycub for the detailed report. I'll try to get this included in the upcoming update.
    My pleasure. Is there a place to go to see pending updates and what they cover? or when do you anticipate the next update to cover this situation? Thank you.
    FG: Classic Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .(Upgraded to Unity, just waiting)
    Timezone: EDT/GMT-4 - (OHIO, USA)
    Currently Running: NONE [D&D 5e focused only]
    Current Project: To learn the mechanical platform by creating 1 day adventures from donated authors, then DM same for new users.
    FG User Profile - The Short: Navy Vet, Only plays 2 main games, wants to do more in his career of Security.

Quote Originally Posted by claycub View Post
    My pleasure. Is there a place to go to see pending updates and what they cover? or when do you anticipate the next update to cover this situation? Thank you.
    Pending, no, but for released updates you can look in the following;

The patch notes from moon Wizard; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...s_ruleset.html

as well as the release updates from lokiare on Tuesdays; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...June-15th-2021

I am finishing up a number of fixes that should appear next Tuesday and I'll try to get this one included as well.

Thread Information