STAR TREK 2d20

Automate Feats for NPC

For PCs there are nice modules, for example PFRPG - Feats by Tanor, and its extension currently worked on by Morenu, which code and automatically apply the feats effects when the character is dropped on the combat tracker. There are also ways to make inventory items apply an effect when equipped, or on hit.

Does any of that work with NPCs/monsters? I know there is an extension/module doing that for the standard monster attributes, but I am thinking of feats et al when the NPC has class levels. Or is coding the effects and applying them manually the way to go? Or rebuilding them as PC? As a concrete example I am looking at doing that for Shalelu in Rise of the Runelords.

Not really a Fantasy Grounds question, but do statblocks in first party Paizo material usually incorporate feats effects (say weapon focus) or not?

So I found some answers to my questions, leaving them here in case someone else is interested.

- NPCs and PCs are treated differently. At the moment there is no way to convert from one to the other. There is no way to give NPCs inventory, feats or other PC abilities.

- It is of course possible to code effects for NPCs. The extension Advanced Effects also works for NPCs and allows the effects to be applied automatically as the NPC is dropped onto the combat tracker.

- The usual ways of dealing with altering NPCs is either to copy something and modify it as needed, or build it as a PC. Possible disadvantages of building as PC are that they would be available at character selection (possible spoilers for players) and that they are not automatically hidden when added to the combat tracker.

- Apparently Paizo statblocks usually already include static bonuses coming from equipment/feats.

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    So I found some answers to my questions, leaving them here in case someone else is interested.

- NPCs and PCs are treated differently. At the moment there is no way to convert from one to the other. There is no way to give NPCs inventory, feats or other PC abilities.

- It is of course possible to code effects for NPCs. The extension Advanced Effects also works for NPCs and allows the effects to be applied automatically as the NPC is dropped onto the combat tracker.

- The usual ways of dealing with altering NPCs is either to copy something and modify it as needed, or build it as a PC. Possible disadvantages of building as PC are that they would be available at character selection (possible spoilers for players) and that they are not automatically hidden when added to the combat tracker.

- Apparently Paizo statblocks usually already include static bonuses coming from equipment/feats.
    Indeed, NPC automation is mostly via effects which you have to add to them once they are in the CT (I often create a spellclass on their NPC sheet for the basic setup; if you have multiple equal NPCs, then you can target all of them first, before applying the effect. Is a bit faster then )

About the NPC as "PC" method: You can take ownership as GM Then they are not shown in the character selection (however, in the CT they may still be shown initially, so add them there before the game starts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Indeed, NPC automation is mostly via effects which you have to add to them once they are in the CT (I often create a spellclass on their NPC sheet for the basic setup; if you have multiple equal NPCs, then you can target all of them first, before applying the effect. Is a bit faster then )

About the NPC as "PC" method: You can take ownership as GM Then they are not shown in the character selection (however, in the CT they may still be shown initially, so add them there before the game starts)
    Thank you!

you're welcome

Thread Information