DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Ok so about the first issue my hunch was accurate: in first versions of the Offline Compenium, a trailing comma remained in all dataX.js files.
    Since this is not valid JSON syntax he must have had changed it in following versions since this can cause crash on some browsers.

Now about that 'bs4', the last generated versions of exe files should come with it bundled.
    I even tested it on a friend's computer (Windows 10, without any development environment inside) just this morning and it worked well. So I don't get why it won't for you

Would you mind re-download the whole project zip and retry launching the exe file, first without and then with the dataX.js files in the source folder?

Alright, trying now ... first having ago without any data files, I receive the expected "NO DATA FOUND IN SOURCES" error.

Next, moving the data (without end commas) in place ...

https://i.imgur.com/eAuUZO9.jpg

I only attempted Feats because I hadn't removed commas in the other files yet. It produced a 4e_Feats.mod! Next, I tested the mod in FGU and it provokes this error on loading:

https://i.imgur.com/4Y8p0dB.jpg

Suspecting something erroneous with the XML, I took the mod to another system and tested it with FGC. That works! I can see all the feats and they appear to work on characters.

The XML parser for FGU is stricter, as I understand it, and undoubtedly explains this issue. I also presume that the other modules will now build (maybe?) into modules. When I have time I'll give that a shot, but we might also suspect that it won't work for FGU even if it does for FGC.

Which begs the question, have you used yours on FGU? Is it just this older version of the compendium that has the invalid XML bumps for use in FGU?

Quote Originally Posted by YellowAdder View Post
    Which begs the question, have you used yours on FGU?
    Yes of course, we are FGU users here. You can see on that screenshot the line of sight and modules loaded!

So my guess would be that here too, the different source file yield to results with errors.
    Could you send me your dataX.js files and generated feat module through private messages so that I can search what's wrong with the generated file (and what can cause it)?

This way I'll be able to update the scripts to work properly with older versions of the Offline Compendium

And by the way, thanks for your continued tenacity!
    Last edited by VegaFontana; July 23rd, 2020 at 18:35.

'Pinging' you here in case you weren't getting private messages for some reason. If you're just busy, no worries, I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I fell off a cliff or something. I do have some updates on what I've tried, to mixed result. If you didn't get the PMs, let me know. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a way to download the offline 4e compendium without having subscribed to the ddi back in the day? The place to pay for a new one they talked about in the video Vega linked doesn't work

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I fell off a cliff or something.
    Giving you some update here, while I'm not done yet with the changes in the scripts, I have several good news. The scripts will now automatically clean trailing commas in dataX.js files to prevent crash on launch. I also updated feat script to be able to produce valid xml replacing '&' chars with '&' (don't know why it worked on my fgu though). And the power script is now able to retrieve the right names for each powers.

I also narrowed why the npc scipt was failing with older compendium data. The source is widely different in some cases so I'll have to code different measures to integrate them properly. For now when it tries to integrate what I call these "legacy monster structure" it fails in recovering init/hp/senses/defenses/speed so they are useless. This will take a little more time but hey, at least it seems that the part of the script that recovers the monster's powers is working well for all (it would have been a huge pain if I had to update these parts too ^^').

Quote Originally Posted by qunitvineu View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way to download the offline 4e compendium without having subscribed to the ddi back in the day?
    Well sadly there is no longer any legal way to generate an "Offline Compendium" since DDI subscriptions are down.

But of course when there is a need and no legal way to fulfill it, then it calls for some gray areas. I know that versions of the "Offline Compendium" already generated are passing from one hand to the other between reddit users. I think I even saw someone hosting an online version of the Offline Compendium (how ironic, right?).

As you can see in my first post, only the database dataX.js files from the compendium are needed for the generator to work. I have a little idea on how ones could manage to download the whole data from the currently hosted edition or try to fetch precise links on how to acquire the compendium nowadays. But that would be considered fencing, wouldn't it? Therefore I can't really delve into that path and it's a quest that you'll have to undertake on your own.

Fantastic news, Vega!

Having told one of my regular groups about your work on this, they agreed to plunge into a big 4E campaign. So, it's exciting to see the bumps coming out of the older format to pave the way for it. I'm sure others will find all this useful too!

Having told one of my regular groups about your work on this, they agreed to plunge into a big 4E campaign. So, it's exciting to see the bumps coming out of the older format to pave the way for it. I'm sure others will find all this useful too!
    And no later than today !

I have finished a version that parse the modules properly, based the source files of your version (as I said earlier, the trailing comma issue, the malformed xml, the statblock data table for npc, etc.).

You can download it now here (or from the main post I updated the link):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Obt...p8NuuK0mATvKq/

I tested it on my computer and a friend's computer, I also parsed the generated db files: they are recognised as "valid xml" so this should deal with FGU issues too ! Thanks again for handing me everything I needed to upgrade the scripts to cover more versions of the Offline Compendium, hope you guys will have fun with 4e as much as we do here!

(And as always, I'm availabe to tacke eventual issues you might have on your side)
    Last edited by VegaFontana; July 29th, 2020 at 22:06.

Oh and while we're at it, could you please give me the version number of your Offline Compendium? I will add on the main post a list of versions against which the module generator has been tested and proved working.
    This might help people knowing which version of their Offline Compendium have the most chances to work well (even though I think we tackled most of the possible issues here).

You can find this number at the end of the "Help" page:

Thanks in advance

Thread Information